Almost is Never Enough

Andrea
I have always been convinced that if a woman once made up her mind to marry a man nothing but instant flight could save him. Women are changeable. He was no longer young when he fell in love and he had sufficient experience to make him careful. Their marriage was announced for the immediate future. He was commiting a good action and at the same time doing something he very much wanted to.*
It is an uncommon situation and it is not surprising if he was more pleased with himself than was altogether suitable.* He never once asked how I felt. As a matter of fact,he does not care how I felt. I do not want to marry him. More often than not, he was away and I was left to arrange matters about our wedding.
Simon,his brother,is the one who helped me in matters about the wedding. It was as if he was getting married to me instead of his brother Shane. These are all happening in summer. "Do you think your brother will ever appear in the midst of the preparations?"I asked him,as we sat down to drink coffee that night since I am sure it is going to be another long night. "No,"he answered.
I sighed,even though it is as I expected I could not help but feel disappointed with him still. "Still disappointed with him now,I thought that by now you have gotten used to him,"he stated wryly. "I am tired of getting used to,"I answered wryly as well. "Well,there is another option,"he stated. "What is it?"I asked him to me.
He whispered to me the idea he had,the other option. I turned white and then froze in place. "You have gone crazy!"I shouted at him as soon as he righted himself. "You never know,I am perfectly serious,should you change your mind,come to me,"he answered, finishing his cup of coffee and swiping my already finished one,his fingers brushing mine. I felt desire so intense that I nearly blush but checked myself reminding that this is the brother of the man I will marry tomorrow.
I then came to bed. I could not sleep. I thought about what he said. "You could marry me instead,"he had stated. I finally could no longer take it since it ran over and over in my mind. I went to his house.
"Simon,I will marry you,"I stated instead. He smiled then showed me his already packed things. We went back to my house to pack mine,then,I also went back to his house. There,I left him a letter.
Shane,
I do not think you really love me. I have found someone who is anxious to marry me and I am going to get married to him today.*
Andrea
That very day,I got married to Simon. Even though it was from a judge,I still didn't mind. He truly loved me.
Simon
2 Years Later
One of the greatest advantage of our later years is we no longer have to scream, we can talk,we don't have to run,we can walk. We have the time to examine the quality of life and to work ourselves on it's improvement. We need no longer feel driven by the idols of the marketplace. We can do more of what we like, rather than what we told we'd like.*
Suddenly,the doorbell rang. "I'll get it,"I stated. When I opened the door,I was surprised to see that it is a person I wanted not to see for years,Shane. "I know you do not want to see me but just give this to Andrea,tell her that it is the answer to her letter,"he stated. He handed me an envelope which looked to have a piece of paper inside.
I pondered over it for a while before I finally decided to give it to Andrea,who came into the living room just then. "Who was that?"she asked me. I answered nothing and gave her the letter instead from Shane. As soon as she opened the envelope,I was filled with a deep longing to see what was in it.
She beckoned to me. I stood beside her and we read the letter together.
Andrea,
Your news kills me. I shall never get over the blow,but of course your happiness must be my first consideration. I am quite sure that will exactly suit you.*
Shane
She gasped. She was indeed loved by him. It was never shown. Yes,it was. I did see it.
He remained attentive to all her wishes.He took her to dine at restaurants. They went to play together*,though these first three were done indirectly,through me. He sent her flowers. He was symphathetic and charming.*
I should have known that he showed loved that way. I never knew him well. Being the eldest,he hid his emotions well. Sometimes you can really accuse him of being unfeeling. We were all wished well at our wedding.
I feel extremely guilty to this point. I heard that when my brother heard the news he literally showed a lot of emotion. He broke a lot of plates,vases,mugs and cups. After that,a friend reported,he burst into tears. "I was listening when you had the talk with that friend,"she stated suddenly.
"You were?"I asked her,feeling the guilt double. "Yes,"she admitted. "Do you regret anything?"I asked her. "No,"she answered. She suddenly added:"We can deny it as much as we want but in time our feelings will show.Sooner or later we'll wonder why we gave up. The truth is everyone knows,almost,almost is never enough. If I would have known that you wanted me,the way I wanted you,then maybe we wouldn't be two worlds apart but right here in each other's arms.*"
I realized who she was talking to. I suddenly decided that the saddest word is almost. They almost fell in love. They almost made it. In the end,though,they did not.
A/N:All the quotes are from William Somerset Maugham's The Escape and Ariana Grande's song Almost is Never Enough.