Chapter Fourteen

The next morning, Xander was called into work for an emergency meeting so I tacked up Nikita, heading to the common for some serious hangover-banishing gallops and a bloody good think. Marcus' words had been playing over and over in my head. You're the only girl we've ever seen the next day... He's been looking for someone like you for a long time. FWB was nonsense but could Xander really be more than a fling?

The next step would be officially moving in together but, hating to admit it, even to myself, getting more involved with Xander scared me. One day, I'd be a Has-been. One day, I'd be Bethany. The thought made me feel sicker than my hangover and I urged Nikita into a canter. The wind whipped her long mane against my face and her hooves pounded over the grassy ground. Trusting she wouldn't do anything silly, I let her have her head and, for a few glorious minutes, I forgot everything, revelling in the adrenaline rush.

Eventually, she slowed back to a canter but gave a happy head-toss as if to say, that was fun. Yes it was, and wasn't that the point? Okay, one day it'd all be over but going out with Xander would be fabulous. Couldn't I enjoy the ride? It's not like I ever intended to marry him and have kids. Daniel said Xander would be an excellent stepping stone. Maybe he would.

Hangover banished, we trotted into the yard where Xander's car was already parked up. I settled Nikita in record time but when I searched the house, he was nowhere to be found. Maybe he'd gone to the pub? I'd just started to get my hopes up when I spotted assembly instructions for a Solid Oak Chair-swing. I didn't have a chair-swing, solid oak or otherwise.

Out in the garden I found him buried in his coat, an over-sized beanie and a grim expression, rocking away and smoking a joint. I expected depressed again but as I walked over a lazy smile took over his face.

'You're unbelievably sexy in your riding gear.'

I knew the jodhpurs and boots did it for him, but how could the rest? I had flat hair, mud splatters and smelled of horse.

I nodded to the chair-swing. 'As presents go, this is definitely the most unique.'

'I like chair-swings.' He put his arm around me as I cuddled up next to him.

'It's freezing out here. Why aren't you inside?'

'I like chair-swings.'

Okay, he wasn't in a good mood but at least he wasn't petulant. I took the offered joint and as small a drag as I could get away with. 'What's up?'

'Work. Four weeks on the yacht sailing around the Caribbean.' He wrapped his arms tighter around me and kissed my head.

One day, there'd be a bald patch where he'd worn my hair away kissing my head so much. 'Sounds heavenly if you ask me.'

'It's supposed to be.' He picked up the latest Diamond Adventures A/W brochure, turning to a page featuring a zillion dollar yacht.

My eyes ate up the images. He hated this? God, talk about unreserved luxury. The spacious, opulent bedrooms, the classy deck, the hot tubs, the food, the gym...

'Can I come too?' I asked, half-serious.

'I wish.'

'Why is living in such stupid luxury for four weeks, in heavenly sunshine so awful?'

'Because I'm trapped on board with the idiots who charter it.'

'When are you going?'

'Friday.'

'This Friday? Why do you never get a bit of notice?' I pouted.

'Really rich people get to go when they want to go.' He tilted his head to look at me. 'But knowing you'll miss me has cheered me up, Fitzgerald.'