Chapter Twenty

At ten to seven on Christmas Eve, as the taxi took a left, I stopped rapping my nails against my handbag.

'We're going to Oak Bank?' I asked Tabitha.

She clapped her hands. 'Bingo, sweetie. Jonty invited me and said I could bring a friend. We get a night out, he's paying and you get to see Xander. What could be more perfect?'

Nothing could be more perfect. God bless you, Tabitha.

Stupidly excited just imagining Xander's face when he realised I was there, I even smiled über-politely to Nadia the Receptionist. She recognised Tabitha but if she knew who I was, she did a bloody good impression of hiding it. Glad to escape her immaculate, Slavic-cheek-boned, glossy dark-haired presence, I let Tabitha drag me to the loo while Nadia rang Jonty.

'I know it's Michelin-fabulous here but, for God's sake, it's Christmas Eve, sweetie. Want to party?' Tabitha produced a pretty glass vial.

I shook my head. 'I have to deal with three small children tomorrow. But don't mind me.'

At least my hair was still perfectly corkscrewed and, actually, the frothy layers on my turquoise chiffon mini-dress were sexy and cute. Okay, Tabitha probably persuaded me to wear the little Oasis number because it was high street and she was in a sequin Hervé Léger dress, but I didn't care - I rocked. It's amazing what half a bottle of pink champagne can do for a girl's self-esteem.

Tabitha was midway through her second line when Nadia poked her head into the bathroom, politely informing us Jonty was out front.

'Xander never said you were coming,' he said to me after a long flirty hello to Tabitha. God, that boy adored her. It was really rather sweet.

I kissed him hello. 'How's the newbie settling in?'

'He's amazing, much better than I remember.'

'Ah, that's all I have of him, memories,' I said with a faux-wistful look. 'He spends all his time with you these days. I'm terribly jealous.' I gave him a wink. It was Christmas Eve and I wasn't going to be a bitch.

Tabitha and I were sipping champagne cocktails when Xander came out. I found the chef outfit disconcertingly odd. Was it terribly sexy like a fireman's uniform or hideously unsexy because it was keeping him from me? He said hello to Tabitha then crouched down by my chair. He hadn't kissed me. He always kissed me hello.

'What are you doing here?' he whispered.

'You don't seem very pleased to see me.' Where's my kiss?

'I am, but I'd be more pleased if you hadn't been caught doing coke in the toilets the second you got here.'

Nadia was a grassing cow but he was assuming I'd taken some too? Without actually asking me?

'Daisy, please don't ruin this for me.'

He went to stand up but I grabbed his arm and gave him the briefest kiss.

'Hello,' I said. 'We've come for dinner. That's all. I'm not going to dance on the bloody tables.'

He relaxed slightly, giving me a small smile before he mouthed behave and headed back to the kitchen. What did he think I was going to do?

'Bugger, I shouldn't have come.' I drained my cocktail and smiled at the drinks waiter. More booze, mister.

'What on earth is going on?' Tabitha asked.

I filled her in on the events since we spoke on Tuesday - lunch with Daniel, the flowers. 'I know it's awfully selfish but I just wanted a few weeks of going out together. He could've waited till January to get a job. Sorry, Tab, hardly the best fun, am I?'