Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

“Is she going to wake up?”

“Maybe,” McGonagall said. Her foot work was loud and then faded, the creak of the door echoing throughout the hospital wing.

Silence. “Look what you did! Were you trying to-”

“Kill her?” challenged Narcissa. “Is that what you were accusing me of?” She heard Draco swallow.

“I knew that’s what you wanted. You didn’t have to say it for me to know.”

Hermione kept her eyes shut as she focused on Draco’s voice. She felt a hand run over her forehead.

“You put the child through a lot of misery, Narcissa,” Lucius told his wife. Hermione had forgotten that he was here too. “The cat is out of the bag now, isn’t it? Draco, you love her don’t you?” She felt Draco squeeze her hand and felt to oncoming tension between his father and him once he answered.

“Yes,” Draco said sternly. “I do.”

“Even if she doesn’t love you back?” The chair squeaked as Draco stood up.

“Yes.” Then he left. No words were exchanged after that as Narcissa and Lucius left. Hermione knew that they wouldn’t return to Hogwarts. Draco was either going to be forced to live out the rest of his life in the manor or disobey his parents and die at Hogwarts.

Her eyes opened and without moving her body or looking down she knew she was immobile. Strings held parts of her body up and she could feel the sweat on her neck from the brace. She coughed and it pulsed in her head and all the way down her spine.

“Ow,” she choked out. Madam Pomfrey came around the corner and saw that she was awake.

“How are you feeling?” she asked. Hermione smiled the slightest bit and held her thumb up. Madam Pomfrey smiled. “I’ll take that you are feeling better.” She looked over her shoulder to another nurse. “Please go and notify Minerva at once.” The woman ran out of the room and Madam Pomfrey started to take off the casts, and then mid-way she pulled out a bottle that had a skeleton on it.

“Drink this if you can,” she said. “It’s not going to taste very good but it will help your bones.” She held it up to Hermione’s lips and she forced it down, scrunching her face up at the taste.

“That really is awful,” Hermione managed.

McGonagall rushed into the room.

“Miss Granger,” she said. “Can you tell us who did this to you?” Her hand rested upon the cast on Hermione’s leg and Hermione winced. Minerva removed her hand. Hermione nodded. “Who?”

“It was-”

“Hermione!” Harry shouted as he ran into the room. “Professor, is she alright?” McGonagall turned and looked at Harry, peering over her glasses.

“Potter, I’m going to have to ask you to leave for the moment.” Harry was about to object but he decided against it. Backing away he walked in the opposite direction out the door. McGonagall went back to Hermione. “Now-”

Three official looking wizards and one witch walked through the door and over to the Headmistress.

“By Merlin’s beard, how many more interruptions am I going to get?” She faced the wizards and witch looking very annoying. “Yes?”

“Headmistress Minerva McGonagall, we’ve just been notified of a crime that happened here at Hogwarts. We-”

“I would have notified you once I found out who did it. I’ve been trying-” The witch cut her off.

“We have been informed of who did it from an anonymous source within your school; because the visitors were failed to be screened before entering the premises and endangering your students, you will be suspended and evaluated.” The Ministry witch looked over at Hermione. “Now all we need is her testimony.” She walked closer to Hermione.

“Who did it?” she asked. Hermione kept her mouth shut. If she had any chance with Draco, she wasn’t going to ruin it like this.