Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

They were sort of together now. There were still grudges and Hermione still wasn’t quite sure about her decision, but she felt pretty confident. Draco and Hermione weren’t ready to tell the world, but they both were pretty sure that a good portion of the school knew what is and what might go on between the two.

            “So, let’s say that I go through with this Veela thing. That requires us to….”

            “Mate?” Draco said for her. “Uh, yeah.” They were both uncomfortable with the topic. Especially Hermione.

            “Oh,” she said, shifting slightly. They were both in the Room of Requirement just sitting on the ground and talking. “Well, in a month the school year is going to be over, and, uh, then your birthday will come pretty quickly after that.”

            “Yeah, in June. You’re nervous, aren’t you?” Hermione looked at him funny. She was, but she couldn’t let him know that.

            “Uh, n-no!” she stuttered. “Of course not I’m just, I have an exam tomorrow. I should be worrying about that.” She blushed and quickly looked away. They both didn’t talk for a while because quite honestly Hermione wanted to drop the subject. She didn’t know if she could talk with him about this anymore. It scared her too much.

            Draco noticed she was becoming distant.

            “Hermione?” he asked. He reached out and touched her arm. “Are you sure you’re alright?” Hermione pulled away.

            “Yes, I’m fine. I’m just…the exam. I have to go.” She got up and started to head for the door when Draco ran in front of her.

            “I’m sorry for even bringing up the subject! If something makes you uncomfortable just tell me. Okay?”

            “Okay.” Her eyes wandered around the room but then found their way back to Draco’s face. “So what do you want to do then? We have the entire day because the fifth years are taking their exams right now.”

            “I’m not sure, do you just want to walk around the corridors a bit?” he asked. Hermione smiled and nodded and Draco took her hand. They had been walking around for a while, swinging their hands back and forth and playfully hitting each other when a commotion came from behind them. Hermione turned around.

            Headmistress McGonagall was walking towards them, three wizards and two witches walking behind her. Students crowded around, waiting to see what was going to happen.

            “Mr. Malfoy and Ms. Granger, may I speak to you for a moment please?” McGonagall said. Both of their hands dropped and they followed the Headmistress to her office.

            Once they were there she said something unexpected.

            “Mr. Malfoy is it true?” she asked Draco. Draco was silent and Hermione looked over at him and then back to McGonagall.

            “Is what true? Draco?” She touched his arm and then he looked over and her and then back to the ground.

            “If I’m correct on what you’re referring to, then yes Professor.” His head hung down in shame.

            “What is going on? Why am I even here?” Hermione asked.

            “Ms. Granger, did Mrs. Malfoy attack you?” McGonagall inquired. Hermione stared at her for a while, and then glanced over at Draco and saw the guilt on his face.

            “Draco, did you…?”

            “Yes. I don’t regret it for one second either.”

            “Oh you shouldn’t have-”

            “Yes, I should’ve and I did;” he took her hand, “and don’t you ever make me regret it either.”

***

I'm back! Sorry for not being able to update, but the good thing is I'll try to get back to my regular update schedule and possibly update tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

-Kameron