Part 5

Days went on again smoothly. But now Remus was becoming apprehensive about his feelings about Harry. He couldn't deny the obvious for a very long time. He knew he was falling for Harry in a way he shouldn't have been. But it seemed he couldn't stop himself. But one thing he knew, he has never felt like this before. He also knew he couldn't possibly love someone like this if it was not his mate. But one thing made his blood run cold, if Harry was his mate, then he have to have turned into a werewolf. This was the only thing that was preventing him from approaching Harry in any way. So he started keeping distance from him.

On the other hand, Harry's heart broke when Remus started to distance himself from him. So he did the only possible thing he could do without making others suspicious- he put on a false facade. He schooled his features into a calm, happy facade whereas his insides were burning. He talked with everyone. He became extra cheerful. He laughed too much, he grinned everytime, he joked more than usual. But every night after closing the doors and putting up a silencing charm, he broke down. He knew he was going to spend his life alone.

Draco and Ron have developed a special habbit of playing chess. It was their personal game in some sorts. No one else were able to compete with them. So everyday after dinner they will put up their chess board and play it until one admits defeat. That night also they were playing.

"Hey Ron, I have something to say." Draco said nervously. Ron looked up and frowned.

"What happened?" Ron asked eagerly.

"It's just.... I.... Uh..." Draco stuttered. Ron looked at him patiently.

"You know you can say me anything." Ron said smiling. Draco smiled nervously.

"I just want to say that I.... Um..." Draco stared at his feet. Ron reached out his hand to hold him. Suddenly Ron was pinned down on the floor and Draco started tickling him relentlessly. Ron squealed in surprise.

"Bloody hell! Draco... You inept bastard, get off me." Ron said flailing. After sometime Draco stopped and burst out laughing. Ron punched him on his arm.

"You utter moron, I'll kill you for this." Ron said indignantly and turned around. But as he did he found that their faces were mere inches apart. As Ron looked at Draco's eyes, he couldn't will himself to look away. Both stared at each other for a long time. After sometime Draco blinked and Ron was snapped out of his trance. He quickly backed away and stood up. He cleared his throat while Draco also scrambled to get up. His pale face was bright red and Ron's face by now was quite matching the colour of his hair.

"Uh, I'm tired. I'm going to bed. We will continue tomorrow." Draco said quickly.

"Um, yeah. Good night Draco." Ron said with a small smile. Draco stared at him for sometime.

"Yeah, Good night, I guess." Draco said with his own attempted smile. They both stared at each other. Suddenly Ron moved forward and pulled Draco in a tight hug. Draco was startled at first, but after a few seconds he also returned the gesture. They stood like that for sometime and then quietly headed towards their bed.

Harry was getting tired of pretending. He wanted to just get away from everything. He wanted to run away from everyone. But he couldn't do that. He can't act this selfish. So he was fairly just stuck. He was just sitting on the stairs of the Grimmauld Palace alone and thinking about everything. Remus was resolved to avoid him as much as he can. He doesn't even remain in the same room as Harry stays. Harry has merely observed for some days and then he has started helping in Remus' attempts. He himself remains as far away as possible from him and doesn't even look at him. It breaks his heart but he was adamant about his aim. He was suddenly broken out of his mournful thoughts by a cherry voice which he knows very well. Harry's blood ran cold.