P r o l o g u e

Eight Years ago. 

Harry stumped his way to the kitchen, cheeks red in frustration and hair a mess from pulling at it. The ceramic floor was cold under his bare feet, but indirectly dampened his humour. The slight relief was cut short when she stormed inside the open room, body only covered by Harry's wrinkled shirt and her black hair wiping around.

"The conversation is not over." She uttered, pointing a threatening finger at him and Harry sighed deeply, deciding to ignore her as he poured himself a glass of water. "Stop disregarding me!" She snatched the glass away from his hand, earning an angry glare from him.

"I tried talking with you, but it led to nothing!" He snapped and she rolled her eyes, flailing her arms exasperatedly.

"No, we had sex to avoid the topic. Which, frankly, I'm tired to do." The exasperation in her tone was clearly evident and her words felt like a slap to the face. "I'm tired of tiptoeing around it, Harry, I need to know where we'll stand once The Selection starts." She crossed her arms on her chest and Harry clenched his jaw, feeling his body tense just at the thought of the upcoming competition.

"I told you I didn't know." He murmured, voice low and eyes avoidant.

"Well you better make a decision soon." She snapped, her own frustration growing. "You barely have a year before it starts, and I assume you'll need to start prepping too. So where does that leave me?"

"I don't know." He said louder, finally meeting her fiery brown eyes. A battle was raging within him, his duties as future prince fighting against his love for Judith, and everyday one side was growing stronger and stronger, and it wasn't the one he hoped would prosper.

She scoffed at his words, shaking her head in disappointment and honest heartbreak. "I'm tired of fighting over this over and over again. I'm not going to wait around until you'll have no choice but to leave me, Harry. I fucking deserve more than an unstable future."

His anger vanished at her words, face falling into a sudden fear. "What are you trying to say?" He replied, voice slightly trembling. A cold feeling wrapped around his heart as he watched Judith purse her lips and try her best not to let a tear out. His eyes widened when she left the room only to be back with a pile of his belongings, throwing them at his feet.

"Get out." She uttered, this time being the one to avoid his baffled eyes.

"What?" Harry's voice broke, dreading to actually believe what she was insinuating. "Jude, you can't be serious..."

She looked up, right into his eyes and it felt like an ice cold shower. Harry could read her emotions like an open book and the pure anguish that emanated from her was heartbreaking. "I can't fight with you anymore. Get. Out." She spoke each word sternly, voice clear and strong, but it felt like a dagger straight to the heart.

"Jude, listen, we'll talk about it, I...I-" He tried, panic rising within him but she huffed in frustration and kneeled down to pick up his stuff again. He watched her march towards the front door, opening it and throwing his clothes out in the quiet hallway. Judith breathed heavily, holding the door open as a clear indication for him to leave, as much as it killed her inside.

Harry pleaded her with his eyes, every ounce of him begging for things to change but Judith was decided. With a painful sigh, he shuffled his way to the front door, giving her one last miserable look before stepping out. She didn't give him the time to start picking up his things before slamming the door closed, the abrupt sound echoing in his head relentlessly.