Top 16 battles

"And our first competitors are Champion Ash and Champion Alder!" That was when the platform pushed both competitors out of the battlefield.

"Trainers, please send out your Pokémon!" Evan said.

"Alright, Chandelure, I choose you!" Alder chose the Fire/Ghost Luring Pokémon.

"Flygon, lend me your aura!" Ash sent out the Ground/Dragon Pokémon, one of his traded Pokémon.

"Ooh, I get to battle?" Flygon said eagerly. "That Chandelure looks strong!"

"Yes. So will you fight for me?" Ash smiled.

"You bet I will." Flygon replied.

"Trainers ready?" Both Ash and Alder nodded. "Then...battle begin!"

"You may have the first move." Ash offered to Alder.

"Don't mind if I do. Chandelure, start things off with Flame Burst!"

"Protect yourself with Sandstorm!" Flygon used Sandstorm to form a shield around itself to protect from Flame Burst. The Flame Burst was extinguished by the Sandstorm, which left Flygon safe.

"Use Sonic Boom!" Ash said, and Flygon's wings glowed white and it waved them, releasing a shockwave from its wings at the opponent. Due to the Sandstorm still surrounding Flygon, the Sonic Boom mixed in with Sandstorm, and both attacks hit Chandelure. Chandelure was knocked back but it simply shook its head, before getting back to battle stance.

"No way!" Alder said.

'While Chandelure is immune to Normal type moves, being part Ghost-type, it is weak to Ground type moves, which is what Sandstorm is. I simply mixed Sandstorm with Sonic Boom to make an improvised Ground-type move, which of course hit it effectively.' Ash thought.

"He made use of the Sandstorm to hit Chandelure using a Normal-type move. Amazing." Alder said. "But I have some more tricks up my sleeve. Chandelure, use Trick Room!" Chandelure's body glows light blue and large light blue rectangle with light blue transparent walls and ceiling appeared around the battlefield, trapping the two Pokémon inside.

"Darn." Ash muttered. He knew Trick Room was a troublesome move, as when it is in effect, the slower Pokémon on the field would move extremely fast. Sure enough, Chandelure is like a blur, moving around the Trick Room, as if to taunt Flygon. Flygon looked like it was about to attack Chandelure for taunting it.

"Calm down, Flygon." Ash said. Flygon looked at Ash, and gave a nod of understanding.

"Chandelure, Shadow Ball!" The Shadow Ball fired was extremely fast.

"Flygon, hit it back with Iron Tail!" Flygon obeyed, and the Shadow Ball went flying back to Chandelure. It managed to dodge the Shadow Ball, due to its current speed thanks to Trick Room, but the Shadow Ball merely grazed its arm.

'I have to get Flygon out of the Trick Room somehow.' Ash thought. 'Hmm....I got it!'

"Chandelure, Energy Ball!"

"Counter with Hone Claws!" Flygon managed to slice the Energy Ball in half, which exploded in green sparkles. The residue of the Energy Ball stuck to Flygon's Hone Claws, which Flygon tried to slash Chandelure with it, but Chandelure was too fast. The slash left a trail of green light behind, which Rosaline noted it might be good for Pakura's future Appeals for Contests.

"Flygon, Signal Beam at Chandelure!" Ash commanded. He gave a subtle nod to Flygon, who understood what Ash really wanted.

"Dodge it!"

"A mistake, Alder. I wasn't really aiming for Chandelure."

"What?" Alder was surprised, as Signal Beam actually hit the Trick Room wall instead, which cracked, and the crack spread all over the Trick Room, finally shattering it.