Exposed || Chapter 40

Author's Note: vickiwaitingx dwritingprojects amoniquebee ToniJones232 LesaG777 Please find tissues.

===

1984 - "Victory Tour"

Michael

"Mike, you might want to sit down, little brother." For whatever reason, Marlon hurried into my dressing room.

He evenslammed the door shut immediately afterwards. My eyes quickly narrowed in the name of confusion.

"Okay, then. What's wrong?" I sat right down on the sofa and didn't know what to think.

Of course, my mind raced with countless questions. Awkward silence filled the room before long.

"Turn to the second page. I'm sorry, man." Marlon sat down in one corner of this room to give space. My other brothers already stayed back at the hotel.

When I finally opened that colorful magazine, my eyes soon read.

"Superstar musician Prince and talented Soul Train dancer Brenda Michelle are now expecting their first child! This remarkable power couple will officially marry when the Purple Rain tour ends in Miami next year. Congrats!"

What? No!" I almost jumped up from the couch at this point. Marlon nodded, reassuring that truth.

"Yeah, little brother. It's true. Again, I'm really sorry." Marlon offered his last remarks before finally leaving the room.

I needed to be alone and make a call anyway. Silence haunted this area while I tried picking up the telephone.

"Hello?" After three rings, Brenda picked up with a confused tone in her voice. I wanted to yell, but stopped myself for obvious reasons. This heartbreak and shock crushed me to be completelyhonest.

"It's me. Congratulations." I sniffled, but didn't want to cry anymore. Yet, my heart still shattered with every passing moment.

"Thank you." Brenda lowered her voice by now. Awkward silence fell between us again. We both knew exactly what meant to talk about.

"Do you know the baby's gender yet? I tried to smile and closed my eyes, thinking of this little angel running around her feet.

"No. Prince wants to wait until I'm further along." Brenda laughed awkwardly to herself.

"What about your wedding dress? Are you worried about possibly not fitting it in time?" I questioned her reasonably at this point.

"The dress will be adjusted. Anyway, did you perform again tonight?" Brenda reassured. I smiled again to stop myself from crying this time.

"Yeah. It was great. You would've loved it. Look, not to change the subject again, but what are you going to do about Soul Train? Do producers know you're pregnant?" I questioned her again, thinking of possibilities.

"In a way, I'm going on paid leave. Prince negotiated with Don Cornelius this week on the phone. If I want to come back after the baby is born, that's fine." Brenda mumbled on the other line.

"Good. You've already considered nannies?" I felt as if this had been our calmest but most awkward phone call.

"Yes, but Prince and I are still raising the child. Babysitters will only be around if both of us are working. What makes you think we'll trust strangers around our kids? Especially considering Prince's fame? People can be sick." Despite the reasonable questions, I didn't know what to think as she slowed down her usual happiness.

I haven't heard Brenda this serious about anything since we broke up. Still, I would've felt the same way about my own children at this point.

"I would do the same thing." I reassured her. One more round of awkward silence fell between us during this phone call.

"Hey. Um, could I tell you something, Mike?" Brenda whispered.

"Of course." I smiled after clearing my through.

"I'm sorry. About everything. I've finally realized that we should've taken things slower and didn't really know each other before falling in love. Maybe you and I would still be together." Brenda suddenly apologized. I almost dropped my jaw.

"I accept your apology. Regardless, you'll be a wonderful mother. I know it." I nodded, understanding.

"Thanks, Mike. Good night." Brenda probably smiled one final time before hanging up.

"You're welcome. Good night." Even though we ended this phone call on good terms, my heart still ached with sadness.

***
The Penthouse, California

Brenda

Brenda Michelle,

Words cannot express how happy I feel for you now. This probably the best news I've heard in quite some time.

I'm not even mad anymore. Life is too short. Begging for your attention should've never even crossed my mind.

You're in love with him.  I will never question his devotion towards you again. I always knew that marriage was  important to you and Prince taking that step actually means something.

No publicity stunt.

Even though you probably won't believe me, I'm so glad you've found this fairytale with someone else.

Pictures tell a thousand words, but the love in your eyes for him is undeniable.

I pray to find that sort of happiness with someone else. Hopefully, my soul will permit romance once more.

And I know for sure that precious baby will be in good hands. I'm tired of crying.  I'm tired of fighting with you.

You deserve to move on with this incredible and new chapter in your life, even if it's not with me.

Best wishes to you with marriage  and motherhood.

I will never forget we we shared together, the love you have for someone else is now far too strong. 

If you or Prince need anything, I'm here.

-Michael

Michael apparently moved on. At least Jackson finally understood my circumstances now.

I would never leave Prince. I would never even leave my own children.

My life would start all over again soon enough.