7.New Neighbour

"Sensei, I'm so sorry. If you're busy, I'll come back later," Saomi said.

"No, no, Saomi. It's ok. We're done here. How can I help you?"

"Um....can I talk to you in private, please?" Saomi asked, hesitant to say anything in front of Neori.

"Oh sure. So, Neori, then, we'll meet tomorrow ok?"

"Yes, Sensei. Thank you so much," Neori said and smiled at Saomi as she walked away.

Saomi and Hirasawa Sensei went to a corner to talk. And God knows why, Neori had this urge to listen to their conversation.

"No, this is wrong. She must be here for a counselling session. I shouldn't do this. Its private," Neori told herself as she stood by the wall at the turning, "But no one does counselling in the middle of a hallway. It must be something else then. Ughh... why am I so bothered? I'll just go away," she said to herself, walking away. However..... "Awww man, but I want to listen," and she positioned her ear closer to where they were and tried her best not to get caught.

"Ok, so you want to play the piano?" Hirasawa Sensei asked Saomi.

"Yes, Sensei. My class teacher told me that you're in-charge of musicians."

"Yes, I am. So, um.....for selections can you play tomo..." and then a streak of lightning hit Hirasawa Sensei's mind again, "Why not play now?"

"N....Now?"

"Yes. There's a keyboard in the music room. Let's go, shall we?"

"Uh....ok."

They proceeded to the music room, not so far away from where they presently stood, while Neori followed them secretly, "She can play the piano?" she thought to herself.

"Here we are. Play anything you like, ok?" Hirasawa Sensei said, taking a seat in a corner of the large music room, full of instruments.

"Ok," Saomi replied, "You can do it," she encouraged herself.

"Woah...no hint of nervousness on her face," Neori observed from a corner.

Taking a deep breath, she started. She tuned it down to her comfort level and then her fingers touched the black and white keys gentle. In a moment, they ran artistically through the keys making beautiful music.

"Wow....." Hirasawa Sensei thought. This time, her eyes didn't widen. They closed instead, "Beethoven's Fur Elise......oh....and that's Pachelbel's Cannon...a remix...Ah, I see what she did there...changed the key signature. We should've done something like this during our time," these thoughts crowding her mind as she listened to the sweet music.

But she wasn't the only one who was so hypnotised by Saomi's playing. Neori, standing behind the door, was left in a trance.

"Saomi.......how?" was the only thing Neori could whisper to herself.

Neori resorted to leaving her friend and teacher in peace and not eavesdrop further; she smiled and walked away. So, her new found friend was a true musician.

Saomi finished playing and looked up. What?! Hirasawa Sensei was in....tears!

Wiping her tears away, she came up to her and said nothing but, "You're selected."

-----------------------

Neori met a teacher on her way back from the music room.

"Good morning, Sensei," she greeted.

"Good morning.........wait a second please. Which year are you in?" the teacher asked.

"Year 2."