12.Welcoming Ceremony

The days passed by rather quickly. Maybe it was the nerves for the big function to go smoothly or the nerves for the best impression of the new students but no one seemed to bother about classes. Everyone had some task or the other to complete for the next day's programme. Yep, it was 'one day' to the Welcoming Ceremony!!!

"Okay, everyone," Hirasawa Sensei called out to the girls in the auditorium, "let's start with rehearsals alright?"

Everyone gathered up to where she was standing to be able to hear better what was going on.

"First up, the dance piece by Yuri and group."

The girls went up on stage to do their performance.

"Saomi," Neori whispered.

The two were standing in line along with the rest of the girls, waiting for their turn.

Saomi didn't hear.

"Ssshhh.....Saomi!!!" she whispered again, nudging her this time.

Saomi seemed too absorbed in the current performance.

"Tch....deaf," Neori said under her breath, "Hey, Mimi," she said, a bit louder.

"Huh?" Saomi replied, "What?......Wait...what did you just call me?!!!" she whispered back, looking furious.

Neori grinned teasingly, "Aww....Mimi's angry?"

"Neori, I swear..." but she was interrupted by Hirasawa Sensei's voice.

"Alright, next in line.....Kirigo and group's gymnastic performance."

"Okay sorry sorry....guess who I saw on Saturday going home from your house" Neori said, sounding dramatic.

"Who?" Saomi asked, not sounding too interested, "anyway, please tell me you worked on your vocals on the bridge part. You know your voice was cracking..."

"Yeah yeah.....I did. I did," Neori replied, changing the topic immediately, "I saw Keya near the subway in...."

"Can everyone in line be silent please?" Hirasawa Sensei shouted turning to the girls.

After a while, Neori continued, "She was with a guy," making her voice sound as though she was reporting a crime.

Saomi remained silent, as though waiting for more and then said, "So?"

Neori lifted up her eyebrows. "So? SO? That's what you have to say?" she whispered in surprise.

Saomi shrugged.

"Come on, I mean, most of the girls in our class are...you know?" Saomi whispered back.

"Yeah...true but....I mean, you saw the look on her face the other day in Sensei's room, right? So innocent looking!!! Almost in tears and all. Could you expect?" Neori said, whispering but not failing to use her hands for full expression.

Saomi nodded thoughtfully. "True," she said, "and we were supposed to be helping each other, weren't we? Two of us worked it out somehow. What about her? She didn't even talk to us since then."

"Exactly!!!" Neori agreed.

"Even though it's her personal life," Saomi started, "I hope she doesn't go and do something like last time, you know?"

Neori nodded, looking very serious.

"Ohayo Orchestra and Choir!!! Come on up," Hirasawa Sensei announced, cutting the two girls' conversation.

The orchestra with the choir, including Saomi and Neori, hurried up on stage and took position.

"One...two...three...."went the conductor.