Scene I - Segment II : The Carnival Of Night

[Unedited]

"H-How do I look?" I stepped out in white floral dress with a hesitation and stared into Henry's eyes.

His brown pools looked at me from top to bottom with a predatory look and it appeared as if he was debating something in mind. He had already changed into a casual out wear so that he doesn't get recognised. "Here..." He said with strange look and passed me a black, silk embroidered shawl.

Always the over protective Henry, I thought and shrugged.

Wrapping it around me gracefully, over my arms and bringing the sides close to my chest, I stared back at him with a smile, "Okay?"

He nodded with a simple smile and extended his arm for me to take.

"Will we walk?" I asked as we stepped out of the large palace entrance, hand in hand.

"No, we won't.." He raked a hand through his ruffled hair and I tiptoed to touch it with my fingers. "What are you doing, dol- er... Rose?" He laughed a little and I could see a mere blush on his cheeks. Perhaps it was a funny thing to do before the guards.

"Fixing it." I smiled innocently and he pulled me to the back gardens.

"Carriage?" I popped the question.

"No."

"Bike?"

"Nope." He answered emphasizing on the letter 'p'.

"Car!" I smiled excitedly on seeing the shimmery black vehicle before us.

"Yes." He grinned and opened the door for me like a gentleman, "Thank you." I blushed a little before getting inside and comfortable on my seat while he shut the door and walked towards the driver's seat.

Before I knew, we were already outside the back exit of palace and moving swiftly along the dark way.
I closed my eyes and slouched in my seat turning my head to the window to see the city down the hill, passing by. The palace was over a high hill and the road was constructed carefully around the hill, twisting down to the city.

The night was as dark as it could be, illuminated by the artificial city lights, giving it a mixed glint.

Once we were at the crowded part of Vamparia, I watched pale people or vampires dressed in fancy dresses, scrambled around the place like the whole city was celebrating the carnival. Strangely, there were hardly any children.

"Don't be staring at a particular individual for long, Rose." Henry said with a warning. "They can ruin your thoughts."

I nodded and we moved past a shop named "Sweet Fang". It was probably a sweet shop with various delicacies displayed inside, can be seen by the large glass windows and door. A man in large, strange coat stepped out with a parcel in hand, which must be having sweets inside.

We drove down the ally to the other street and a man with a company, a cigar in hand and smoke out of his fat lips, leant against the old wall of an abandoned shop, glaring daggers at the passerby.

On the left, lady in a fur coat and a pearl necklace with a clutch between here perfectly manicured fingers walked down like a model on stage with a graceful smile and a odd red glint in her eyes. She looked very bold to walk in the dark street all alone.

I shivered a little when she turned to me and Henry nudged me to look away.

These scenes were something new to me. I have never seen this side of the city before and perhaps this is why Henry didn't want me to bring here.

"The night life of the city turns bizzare at this time of the year so I would remind you to be careful and not leave my side." Henry instructed with his eyes on road and took a sharp right which entered into a residential area.

The big city mansions with doors and windows locked, just letting the light inside fall out on the street through the window and the dim street lights made the area secure from darkness.

"This is the first and last time I am taking you to such a carnival, Rose, because sometimes it's okay to see things. Don't expect me to take you to such a place again at night." Henry sighed and I whispered a small okay.

After two rights and one left turn, we we stopped at a parking. I could here the carnival music as we stepped out of the car and my excitement had no bound.

I looped my arm around Henry and he carefully led me to the entrance gate of the carnival ground. "The Night City Carnival." I read the large looped banner with the painted letters and saw a man inside a booth at the gate with an irked look yelling, "Two!" and passing two tickets once Henry threw the money at the counter.

Taking the tickets, we entered inside the large and beautiful looking carnival with various rides including the famous large ferris wheel with lights, stalls, gift shops, gaming zones, food court and that particular place where instead of a vendor, a strange machine hand gave out cotton candy and balloons.

Yellow, blue and pink fluorescent light balls illuminated the entire place and my eyes got fixated at a magical shop which sold some colorful shiny liquids and sparkly sand in mason jars.

With my lips parted at the stunning sight, I shrieked in joy, "This place is so wonderful!" and Henry chuckled, "I know."

********

Segment - III will be up soon.

:)