LIALG - Chapter 3

When the bell indicating the start of my next class rang, I sunk down into my chair and let gravity cradle my head.

"Eat too much?" Evie laughed, and I subtly opened one eye and glanced at her. Her eyebrow was quirked, and a smirk was plastered on her face.

My eye closed once more to hide the lie; I knew she would have easily found it there. "I'm part dragon; I can eat, like, twice my bodyweight," I bluffed. In truth, she was right. I felt like my stomach might actually explode. I was definitely not used to eating even remotely large amounts of food; there just wasn't enough of it on The Isle to be greedy. I couldn't help it, though; the food was so incredible. Even if the customs were stupid and the people uptight, it was worth staying in Auradon for the cuisine alone. I was never eating fish or rotting fruits and vegetables again.

"Mhmm, whatever you say," Evie hummed, not convinced in the slightest.

"Welcome back to Auradon University, students! I hope your summer went well!" A short, older lady announced. I recognized her immediately as one of the fairies that raised Aurora; as if my mother would ever let me forget them.

"Peachy," I muttered from the back row, earning a snicker from one of the students that happened to hear me.

"I am Merryweather, the professor for Life Skills Without Magic 101, so if you're in the wrong class, feel free to exit now," she continued kindly.

My feet itched to take the offer. "Life skills without magic? What the hell kind of class is that?" I whispered, leaning into Evie's space.

"Did you even read your schedule?" Evie chastised. One look at my face and the answer was clear.

"Why would I learn life skills without magic when I do have magic? This is stupid! Besides, I'm finally out of the barrier; shouldn't I be learning how to use magic?" I grumbled while the professor passed out the cymbal busses or whatever the hell they were called.

"Not everyone has magic, Mal. Besides, it'll be fun! I signed up just so that we could have the class together," she insisted.

The breath from my dramatic sigh nearly sent my paper flying to the ground. A soft hand encased mine, and I looked over to its owner. Her kind smile began to convince me that maybe class wouldn't be so bad.

* * *

"See, was that really that terrible?" Evie prompted, poking my arm as we exited the classroom at the bell's signal.

"Excruciating," I claimed with a teasing smirk. Sure, the class had been astonishingly boring, but the pleasurable tickle as Evie played with my fingers and traced patterns on my arm had made it bearable. I didn't even grumble when I heard mention of atrocities like 'cooking' and 'responsible decision making', her ministrations putting me into some sort of serene trance.

"You are such a liar," Evie accused fondly, blue locks bouncing around as she shook her head.

She didn't buy it at all, and I didn't blame her; I was practically purring throughout the hour.

"Oh, come on, Mal; class with Evie isn't that bad," Doug voiced, jogging a little to catch up to us.

"I was kidding," I admitted, and his cheeks reddened. Did he actually think I was serious?

"Oh, right; Of course," he stuttered. "So, what's your next class?" he asked, apparently trying to salvage the conversation. Oh, Audradonians, always so polite.

"Don't know, don't care," I stated, and he chuckled nervously.

"It's Grammar," Evie offered, turning back to me. "Maybe after the semester you'll be able to complete a full sentence," she teased, her tongue poking out between her perfect teeth in obvious amusement.