LIALG - Chapter 9

It didn't take long for us to make our way out of the mob of students. As soon as we were free, the cold air hit me hard. Goosebumps crawled along my skin as Evie pushed open the door of the vacant bathroom. Her heels echoed along the walls as she pulled us to a large stall at the very back with purpose. Once we were hidden from potentially prying eyes, the door's lock clicked loudly into place, and I was swiftly pushed up against the nearest wall. It was even colder than the air outside, and I found myself shivering involuntarily at the feeling. All of this cold air was sobering me quickly, and I suddenly knew we were making a grave mistake.

Although the heat of her lips and tongue on my neck felt incredible, with every kiss she landed I could feel my stomach drop further. "E-Evie, we," I stuttered. Teeth scraped along my pulse point, and I whimpered at the feeling. "Fuck-we," I attempted again, but her hands began to move along my body. It only made me feel worse. "Evie, we need to stop," I finally ordered, my voice breaking as I took her hands in mine to still them.

She pulled back abruptly, and her eyes leapt to mine in concern. A pang of fear pierced my heart as I registered that her eyes were glowing crimson in the dark lighting.

"What's wrong?" she inquired, rubbing her thumb along my hip bone in what was supposed to be a comforting gesture.

A scoff rushed out of my lips. "What's wrong? E, what isn't wrong with this? You have a boyfriend – a really sweet boyfriend. I'm not going to take part in this if it means we're hurting someone else to do it," I defied, pushing her away from me gently.

The glow of her eyes dimmed while her mouth parted in hurt.

Suddenly, the music from outside of the bathroom was much more audible, and Audrey's voice boomed through the mostly empty room. "Evie, are you in here?

Evie took a deep breath and nodded even though Audrey couldn't see her. "Yeah!" she called once her voice was steady.

"They're announcing Homecoming king and queen soon; you better get your royal ass out here to accept your crown!" Audrey shouted back.

A small smile left as soon as it appeared, and a curtain of blue washed over her face as she nodded solemnly. "Okay!" she answered.

"Now!" Audrey demanded.

Evie's eyes flicked between mine in conflict for what felt like an eternity before she opened the stall door and squeezed out without a word.

My head fell back against the stall wall, and I let out a sigh as Evie made a show of washing her hands to convince Audrey she had just taken a bathroom break. The bang of the door closing eventually informed me when I was alone. I could feel my eyes beginning to burn, but it was with unshed tears this time. I don't know how long I stood there, eyes closed and trying to get my breathing under control. Apparently, it was long enough for someone to come looking for me.

"Mal?" Uma's voice came like a beacon of hope, and my heart soared at the sound. Uma had made it very clear that she wasn't going to be hanging out with me at the dance if I was with Evie, but I couldn't be more thankful that she had been keeping tabs on me regardless. I quickly fumbled with the lock on the stall door until it was open, and I ran towards the sinks.

"Oh good; I thought you might be in here," Uma said before her eyebrows shot up. "Dang, girl, you did get it on with the King," she chuckled, taking in my appearance.

My heartbeat pounded in my ears as I turned to the mirror. I took in all of the hickeys that marred my pale skin and my stomach lurched at the sight. A sob clawed its way out of me, and once I allowed one to escape, it made room for plenty more.