Mother

Sophie made her way down to the lower chamber of the mansion. There, she faced a ivory door, with a word " Mother " carved on top. She still remembered the time before her mother passed away, eyes dull from the illness yet still so very gentle. When the cancer took Mother, she was just all skin and bones, pale as a ghost, face masking the ordeal inside.

"S-sophie....Mummy is going away for quite a while, ...promise me that you will take care of yourself? Mummy cant do so anymore but i will always love you." Coughs erupted from her dry chapped lips and her face turn paler than ever. Sophie was young but she knew Mother was never coming back, especially when she was in a state like this. Mother was clearly telling her that there will be no more walks in the nearby park, no more birthday celebrations as a family at the hall downstairs and definitely not another snowy season together.

"Take care of Daddy too okay ? And that servant of his...Belle....if he ever marries her, just accept her alright? I need you and daddy to be happy. If not, I won't be at peace..."

Mother's  breaths became shallower and with her mouth barely opened, she tried to gasp for air. The cavity of her bone sockets was just lying under the layer of skin which clung tightly on, as if it were to tear at a slight touch. Her cheekbones protruded out ever so visibly and wrinkles of pain carved themselves on her once beautiful face. Mother never feared death but now, she felt it. The fear. Pain gripped onto her heart, wrapping tightly around the beating organ, tightening like a snake on its prey. She felt her heart racing faster and faster, till the point she felt breathless and lightheaded. The throbbing of her heart filled her ear drums and numbness took over her limbs. Soon, she could barely hold out a hand and maintain eye contact with Sophie. Reaching out to her daughter's tiny hands, she forced a smile and wiped the tear off from the girl's cheek. "Goodbye...Sophie."

As the last tear slipped out of the corner of her eye, Mother was gone, eyes still on Sophie but lifeless like the fish's at the mongers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sophie turned the door knob and walked into the cold but sweet scented room. It was filled with different coloured roses...but mostly white, as they were her mother's favourite.

Sophie approached the coffin quietly and thought of all the bittersweet memories she had with her mother when she was  young. Suddenly, she heard a drumming of fingernails. It...it sounded like her mother's habit, when she was impatient with Father for coming in late for dinner from the basement. Sophie felt frightened but she thought even if its mother, she would love her and this would not scare her.

"M-Mother? Is that you?" Sophie whispered after much consideration as it was impossible for the dead to rise. The drumming stopped when Sophie called out for Mother. She stopped walking. A hand was finding its way out of the brim of the coffin. It was as pale as the moonlight that shone through the glass windows. Its nails were painted white...just like her mother's. Sophie was horrified. And started to step backwards as quietly as possible. The air in the room smelled no longer sweet but it stank of rotten flesh and blood. It stank so badly till Sophie wanted to cough and choke. A rasp voice was heard.

"S-sophieee.....why are you here so late? You are beginning to be like your fatherrrr....always late for dinner from work...come here dearrr...mummy wants to see you..." Sophie wanted to scream but no voice came out. She was getting nearer to the door and immediately, her hand shot out and grabbed the knob. But to her horror, it was stuck! Sophie turned and pulled but the door would not barge. "S..SOPHIEEE what are you doing? Are you scared of ME?! Im your Mother! Didnt you say you missed me? Didnt you say you wanted to see me?!"

Sophie finally screamed and violently shook and banged the door,yelling desperately for help. "HELP!!! DADDY !!! HELLLPPPPP!!! DADDYYYYYYY! BELLE Where are you? HELLPPP, SOMEBODY ! ANYBODY!!! " Sophie screamed with all her might.

"S-sophie...mummy is sad..why dont you want to see me?"

"NO! YOU ARE NOT MY MUMMY. SHE'S GONE! SHE SHOULDNT BE ALIVE! "

'Sophie darling...why dont you turn around and look at me? Im your mummy! Ive come back to see little Sophie! My..My..have you grown! Your skin are so fair and pretty...your hair is so gorgeous too..come...let mummy see..."

"AHH DADDY HELPPPPP"

"Stop calling for Daddy! He's at the basement with that woman, Belle! They will NEVER hear you! Stop calling for them and come here at once! "

Sophie was utterly frightened.

Slowly, she turned...

The smell of rotting flesh grew stonger

And stronger

and....

She saw a corspe which resembled her mother, crawling towards her in a contorted manner. The sight was too much for a child to bear. Sophie's legs gave way and she collasped onto the floor. Her head began to spin as the stench filled her nostrils. Before her vision ceased, she saw the roses in the room turning black and withered. The horrendous face of the corpse, whispered by her ears, placing its warm revolting hand on her shoulder. Sophie sank into complete darkness as she heard the monster's words ringing in her mind.

"I love you Sophie...forever"

__________________________________________________________________

End of Mother