TWO

"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're supposed to help you discover who you are."—Bernice Johnson

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Only God knows who invented school, I would love to thank him for giving me eight hours away from my wicked aunt.

I don't have to be reminded that I was going to school because it was my mother's last wish to uncle philip.

Although my aunt had tried her best to deny me of my privilege, but it seems my mom spirit have not left me after all.

Coming back from school is like returning to hell.

"Get the snack from miss b.j and hit the road" my Aunt shouted while concentrating on the telemundo movie she was watching since that is the only job that she has been assigned to her apart from making my life a living hell.

I wonder why I have to hawk goods when we clearly don't need the money coz my father's clothing business is enough to feed the whole community.

But as fate would have it, I have to hawk plantain chips on the highway after school Probably to punish me more, well am kind of used to it.

I ran upstairs and fumbled as I dropped my bag and changed my clothes.

"urggg..... no time to even take my bath" I grumbled.

"Let me meet you there you lazy pig" she shouted on top of her voice from downstairs.

I struggled to get my tray and ran as fast as my thin legs can carry to miss b.j's house, I collected the chips and went to meet my co-hawkers on the highway.

As usual, we ran after moving bus or cars to sell our goods, though risky but we seemed to have mastered the craft to avoid accident.

Looked what stopped in front of me, a black Lamborghini, exactly like the one my parent took before the accident. The car parked beside the road and I ran to it side before another hawker could steal it away from me.

"Can I have two chips" the lady sitted in the driver spoke to me. Without placing my travel down, I picked two chips and handed it over to her waiting hands. She seemed so polite, very beautiful, probably in her early twenties, her attached golden hair matched perfectly with her perfect skin.

"LB do you care for one" she asked the guy beside her, probably her brother or cousin, he turned and damn he is so cute, maybe eighteen or nineteen in his school suit, his tie was still hanging round his neck like it was just tied.

"Do I look like someone who is ready to eat some stupid chips from dirty highway chicks?" he said arrogantly contradictory to his handsome face and model-like body.

"The chips are made with quality ingredients, you can taste it" I defended innocently as I stretched one to him.

"Just take this rotten stuff away from me or give it to your parents at home"

That stuck me 'i don't have one' i wanted to add.

I returned my hand and placed try chip back on my tray before collecting the five hundred naira note she stretched at me.

"You shouldn't be so rude to her" she scolded the guy and zoomed off to the other junction where there was no traffic without collecting her balance, I tried to chase the car but it was of no use so I continued hawking to other cars that were still stucked to the traffic.
"Hey... Chips" I heard someone call so i ran to the danfo bus (public bus).
"How many ma, it is only fifty naira per one" I asked the woman beside the open window.
"Give me one" she requested and i stretched one to her while she gave me a very dirty and torn note that I could barely realise that it one had value.
The traffic was becoming clear and I knew that the bus would move soon so I rejected the money.