Dame is My Only Friend But She's Not Rich

I feel like the punchline to a horrible joke as I sit there, watching the grey-haired lawyer in the vomit-green suit stand there rigidly behind the podium as he reads my late husband's will out loud.

It has been nearly thirty minutes and my name has not been uttered once by the dishevelled man with the dreadful fashion sense, who stands there and insists on only reading out the names of my late husband's daughters, his sons, brothers and sisters and even distant cousins.

Most of whom I've never even met but they are all here, silently judging and laughing at me.

I can hear them quip under their breaths to one another.

Why is she here?

How even old is she? Shameful.

Did she really think he was going to leave her anything?

What a gold-digging whore?

My legs are tightly crossed as if I'm keeping myself from blowing up and telling everyone in the room to go fuck themselves.

A joke is exactly what I am. The room is nearly full and I feel like everyone is a spectator to my humiliation.

But this is not new to me. For three years, I have gotten used to being the butts of all of the gold-digging, dumb blonde jokes. Because next to my seventy-year-olf husband, I looked like his granddaughter's daughter. It was not easy to hide but I was done feeling ashamed about it.

But today, I am boiling with anger as I listen to the insensitive whispers around me.

But nothing crushes me more when I hear the ugly lawyer finally read my name off that damn paper in front of him.

"And finally, to my beautiful wife Julia, I leave our silver rabbit Dame. When we bought it together, I had never seen her so happy."

I feel like dying as the whole room bursts out laughing at me.

My skin burns with humiliation but not even the floor is merciful enough to open up and let me sink.

The unattractive lawyer is the only one not throwing a laughing fit as he stands there and throws me a pitying look instead, that I want to smack off his pore-infested face.

-

I sit on the bench under the midday sun, staring ahead at the familiar tennis court.

For three years, I've lived at this luxurious residence, enjoyed all of the pleasures of a privileged life. Played tennis with my husband every Sunday as the staff brought us fresh lemonade made from the rich lemons that grow on this very groud. It feels surreal that this is the last time I'm ever going to be here.

I look down to my lap. Dame, the silver rabbit hops in her cage and I reach my hand inside to pet her.

Right now, Dame is my only friend, but she won't be able to get me fed or a proper flat to live in.

My life is finished.

I thought marrying the old broad had me sorted forever. With all his millions, I thought I was to be endlessly rich after his death.

But now, I am left with nowhere to go, no one to go to. And only one million dollars to my name.

I've alienated all my friends. Even my brother Damien. He told me he never wanted to see me again after I got into a clash with his ginger wife. I saw the look on his face. He meant it.

But as I slowly pet Dame, a plan sneakingly brews in my head

Damien may not like me, but I can use this to my advantage.

I'm going to blackmail my brother.

Dame hops higher and I know that means she agrees with my new brilliant idea.

"Thanks for your support, Dame. You're my best mate, yeah?"