Chapter 3: The Stability of an Empire

Bryn attempted to look as regal as possible despite the strangulation her clothes were giving her. Somehow, in contrast with the measures most other of her servants took, Bryn's fitters had decided that discomfort was what made one a leader. Still, examining herself in a mirror, Bryn had to admit they'd done a pretty good job. The lords of Suth wouldn't dare speak against her, though they never did.

Putting her intimidating atmosphere on as usual, Bryn made for the door, leaving the fitters and causing the attendants to jump and hurry to follow her. Renz was ever ready, instantly following Bryn the moment she moved. He expertly kept a distance from Bryn—the Empress was to be seen as one without ties to anyone—while at the same time making his heightened position clear by walking at the front of the line of attendants. He was always so good at his job, Bryn reflected.

As she sauntered down the halls, Bryn instinctually made sure not to walk too fast. It was important to make everyone see that you were in control; making others wait for you was a good way to do that. Around her, the various palace employees and guards either moved out of her way fearfully or bowed to her respectfully. Not one dared leave her presence unacknowledged. Bryn stifled a proud smile. Despite the Ventis revolts, she really had done a good job with this empire, hadn't she?

"Ah, yes, Empress." Renz interrupted her train of thought, sounding as though he just recalled something. "Detective Teskon wanted to inform you of new findings in both Continents Central and Suth. He is waiting merely for your time."

Bryn kept walking. "I'm about to walk into a meeting, Renz. Couldn't you have told me this before the fitting?"

"The lords of Suth often dislike it when you keep them waiting, Empress, though they'd never say it to your face." Renz replied. "I thought the meeting would go smoother if they were all happy and cooperative. Meeting with Detective Teskon would have taken too much time."

Bryn frowned. "The reason I keep them waiting is so I assert my dominance over them. They answer to my whims, not the other way around. They can dislike how long I make them wait all they want; in the end I'm still their ruler. Nothing will change that."

"I suppose, Empress." Renz said. "I merely offer my opinion when it's asked...or when I believe you should hear it."

Bryn couldn't help but grin slightly. "You should become an advisor, then, Renz. You seem like you'd be good at it."

Renz didn't respond, and Bryn's smile faded. They were nearing the meeting hall; appearances meant everything, now. Contrary to her generals and advisors, which all met with her regularly and lived in this very palace, the lords of the other Continents did not see Bryn very often. They seemed to get complacent in her absence. These meetings, therefore, were incredibly important. Bryn used them to assert herself as their leader and to abolish any thoughts of disobedience.

Guards waiting at the door hurriedly opened it for Bryn, not wanting to displease her. She continued walking through, and the casual chatter inside the meeting hall disappeared. The lords of Suth all turned to see her, their eyes displaying surprise. This always happened; it was as though each of them forgot about how intimidating she'd been the last meeting. Some bowed their heads slightly in respect, while others merely regarded her warily as Bryn crossed the room to her larger, elevated chair. These lords were not used to prostrating themselves for others, and always seemed reluctant to show Bryn the respect the employees of the palace showed her. While they ought to have, Bryn wasn't about to scold each of them. That would make her seem petty.