Chapter 4: New Friends

Aidly sighed, stepping over a gench. The tiny creature cried at her before disappearing behind a rock. Idly wondering whether they'd study genches in Biology, Aidly made her way to the first class of the day; coincidentally, Biology. She glanced around her melancholically, reflecting on the events of last week. She still hadn't been able to make a single new friend in all of her classes, despite having tried to be as friendly as possible. Everyone seemed to be too focused on studying to care. Plus, as Aidly had discovered, there did indeed seem to be a divide between the human and Ventis students of Seinfor. No human seemed to sit with Ventis, and the opposite was true. Aidly wondered why.

Waving to Knass as he passed by her heading to his class, Aidly felt the smile his presence brought her fade away. She'd have to sit beside Drianne. Again. Strangely, the Research Ventis hadn't objected to sitting beside Aidly, though the two being together would undoubtedly lower her reputation. Additionally, it seemed to lackeys that she'd had on the first week had abandoned her. Compared to Primary, Drianne had seriously dropped in her social standing. She seemed to be about as friendless as Aidly herself.

Sauntering into the Biology room, Aidly scanned the seats. It was mostly full, with the majority of students studying on their own. It seemed casual chatter wasn't a thing here. Well, Aidly supposed, there was a reason Seinfor was so renowned. If you wanted to do well in a Secondary like this one, you had to be especially studious.

Drianne was sitting in her usual seat on the left side of the room, alone like always. Her notes were splayed out in front of her, and she was currently comparing two sheets of paper. Her brow furrowed in concentration, she quickly jotted down a note. Looking up from her notes, Drianne glanced around herself, dissatisfied. Clearly, the lack of friends was affecting her more than it was Aidly. Honestly, Aidly was hardly believing the queen herself was now alone. It was so unusual to see.

As she walked up the steps towards Drianne, Aidly gave a little wave. Though she didn't like Drianne, she figured she ought to at least try to be nice to her, given that the two of them were the other's only friend. Plus, Knass was nice, and that usually worked out fine for him.

Drianne frowned as Aidly plopped down next to her, but made no objections.

"Munnolia smiles," Aidly said as she sat down, using the standard morning greeting. Indeed, today actually was a nice day, giving the greeting some actual truth.

Drianne didn't seem any more pleased. "Not today, it doesn't."

"Why's that?" Aidly asked, making small talk.

"Why do you think?" Drianne muttered. "What's with this place? Can't they see that I'm here? I'm supposed to be a social queen! People flock to me! Why am I stuck having to converse with you of all people?"

Aidly shrugged, keeping her temper from flaring. Those sorts of offhand comments had been made far too many times by both of them to mean anything anymore. "I guess because this is a school, after all. You study in a school, right? Well, as far as I can tell, that's what everyone else is doing. Social lives are secondary here, it seems."

Drianne eyed Aidly's still empty desk. "So why haven't you gotten your notes out yet?"

Aidly started, before quickly pulling out her notepad and opening it up to the page she'd last stopped at. Drianne continued to keep a wary eye on Aidly's notes, her expression turning to incredulity.

"What's that?" Drianne at last asked, unable to keep herself from staying quiet. It seemed talking was something she couldn't refrain from doing every minute of the day, lest she become a mute. "You've barely written anything down! You're going to fail the class with bare-bones notes like those! Honestly, it's a wonder you managed to get into this school."