Chapter 5

I watch as the clock on the bedside table eventually shows it's time for Sophie to get up. I had been awake most of the night, intermittently sleeping. It was the same for over the weekend as well. I capitalised on the time, however, and searched for available jobs that I could start soon. I have a shortlist of about five, and will follow up on them this week when I get the chance. Other than not being able to sleep, I was working on keeping Sophie occupied. We went and found a park on Saturday, and yesterday we stayed in the hotel all day and found things to do here. I did notice when things lulled that she came and sought me out, wanting cuddles. I sit up in bed gently, rubbing my eyes. I don't know how I'm going to go through with today. I feel like I'm going to pass out at any minute. At least that way I don't have to face every vision that I get just as I am going to fall asleep. Am I going to be able to drive safely? Should I just blow off school today?

A strong dose of coffee and I'll hopefully feel more awake and able to go through with the day. I slip out of the bed and walk to where the fridge and refreshments are and the blessed coffee. I make myself a strong cup of coffee and gulp it down as soon as it's drinking temperature. I quickly throw some clothes on before I walk back to the bed, as I wait for the coffee to kick in, to wake Sophie up.

I stroke her hair, waking her gently. She mumbles slightly as she wakes.

"Good morning sweetie," I say smiling sleepily. She rubs her eyes, smiling back at me. As I let Sophie wake up more, I go to the suitcase and open it to get some clothes for her. As I'm bending to look in the suitcase, I stagger forward, feeling slightly dizzy. I blink a couple of times as I put a hand out to stop me from falling forward. I straighten up and shake it off, turning to Sophie to ask her what she wants to wear today.

 I straighten up and shake it off, turning to Sophie to ask her what she wants to wear today

I arrive at the school, surprised I was able to get here in one piece. I had Sophie to keep me awake before I dropped her off, but as soon as I did so I was fighting to keep my eyes open. It seems to be a common occurrence recently. I push the door to the car open and fall out of it. The tiredness seems to be making my body ignore my commands. I stumble towards the entrance to the school, and for the first time I ignore all the stares coming my way. I can understand them. I probably look like a real life zombie - it's what I feel like. I stumble and trip, falling to the floor. My hands burn from the impact and grazing them on the tarmac. I weakly push myself up, swearing quietly under my breath. A hand falls onto my arm, assisting me. Although their intentions are only to help I pull away from them, not liking the feeling I'm getting. I look up and see that Ashton is standing above me. I eventually get to my feet and look down at the damage on my hands. They're red, but have no cuts. I groan, as the stinging intensifies.

"You OK?" he asks. I avoid his concerned gaze and mumble an affirmative. I go to begin walking towards the school again, pressing my hands together to try and ease the sting, my reasoning being the sooner I'm in school the sooner the day ends, but Ashton stops me. He grabs me by the arm spinning me around. He ignores the flinch he undoubtedly sees as he examines my face.