How to Write a Blurb/Summary

How do you write a summary? No really, I'm asking you... Oh... you want my advice? Well, I guess this sort of is my guide and this chapter is written as the "How to Write a Summary" Chapter.  

To be honest, I can't really tell you too much on how to write a summary. You write a summary like you write a book, one word at a time. However, I suppose I can give you a few things to think about. An overlying structure you can follow... I suppose. I'll mention right now that I've never spent more than a passing second on my summaries. Maybe after writing this chapter I'll go back and apply my own advice... 

The first thing we need to do is define a blurb/summary. In the case of wattpad, it has exactly one goal... to get people to read it. In that case, it needs to clearly define what it is your reading. You could write something abstract and difficult to follow. Something that sounds akin to poetry to try to "move" your reader into reading more. I don't recommend it. Maybe it's just a part of my personality, but I think your blurb should just be your blurb.  

Also, please note that a summary is different from a blurb, although this site typical uses them synonymously. A summary summarizes what happens in your book. It explains all of the major events and more or less says what you a book is about. A blurb more or less just gets an idea of what the story is about, trying to encourage the reader to read more. Which you choose to write is up to you, but in my mind I’d avoid a summary.

FYI, because it's not actually easy to know where to do your summary, when you click on my works AFTER you create at least 1 chapter of your story, you can click on manage. Under "description" is where you can add a blurb or summary. It shows up when people click on your book, and will be the first thing they see to decide if it's worth reading.  

So what should a blurb consist of?

1) Mark the genres:

I haven't done this up until now, but now that I'm actively thinking about blurbs... I might. List your genres. Not simple genres. But something clearer and more direct.  

This is a werewolf supernatural romance with no sex. Done. Your reader knows EXACTLY what they are getting into when they pick up your work. It can work with anything. This is a science fiction story taking place in another dimension with a teenage protagonist. Perfect. That little genre mention can do more good than anything else. Unless, of course, your goal is to trick people into reading your book and hoping their anger at being misled will be overshadowed by your own inherent awesomeness. Don't hold your breath for that though.

2) Write a catchme start:

Some people ask a question, others make a broad statement. This is the first, and sometimes the last thing someone will ever read about what you wrote. If you really want it to be good, make it count. The world is ending, the stars flickering out one by one. A little generic, true, but it has good impact factor. Immediately you know crap is going down and you need to read this story to know how to stop it. Have you ever been dead? Another one. True, also cliché, but at least it immediately gets you thinking, wow, zombies, ghosts? Let me read the rest of this and find out.  

3) Keep it short:

This is to quickly assess whether your story is worth reading. Keep it short. Like under ten sentences. What? Your story is so complex it can't be summarized in ten sentences? Well tough bananas. Not everything needs to be told to the reader. In fact, I'd say in most cases six sentences should be enough. Still, this isn't a summary in the traditional sense. You're trying to relay what the story is about, not describe the events of the story in a true "summary". In that form, summary is really an awful name to call It, I suppose that's why "blurb" is a word that exists too. 

4) Start with one sentence:

First, I wanted you to cut it down to ten sentences, then six sentences, now one sentence? I'm a monster. No, not really. This advice I saw from JaxCreation and really liked it. Basically, start out your blurb by coming up with one sentence that lets you sum up all of the events of the story. Once you can do that, add to it. Let the rest of your blurb grow from that. It's a starting point. A base line that keeps you from losing hold on the message you're trying to get across. Every time you change and rewrite the sentences of your blurb, remember, at the base of it all, you're trying to tell them what your summary is about... that one sentence you started with.  

5) End with a Bang:

Naturally, everyone wants the ending to leave a lasting impression. Others just want to know a good spot to end it. That's not always as easy as it seems. You want to end it, you just don't know how. The easiest solution is to ask a question or invite the reader to read more. "Just what will happen to my fateful protagonist when crap hits the fan?" sometimes followed by "Read ahead to find out". I'll say this right now, don't do that. That's not a good way to write a blurb. Never invite your reader to read more. I'd also go so far as to say you should avoid ending it in a question. Well, that didn't make things easier for you. Just how do you end it? State the conflict. That's really the advice I can offer. Your final sentence should recite the overall conflict. If you already did recite the conflict in the middle of the blurb, rearrange it so that it ends with the conflict being stated. Working in the title can also work here.  

Put it all together?

Title: Redemption 

The last drop of blood drained from her now lifeless body. However, that wasn't the end for Veronica. She awoke, a thirst for blood scratching at her throat and the world she knew burned to ash. Pursued by her sire, Veronica seeks for the one thing that has been denied to her. Redemption.  

Genre: It's a traditional vampire action romance with some violence and mild sexual scenes well within the PG-13 limit.