PROLOGUE: 'Ky - The Dream'

LIAR LIAR

PROLOGUE: 'Ky - The Dream'

    Candice clutched the plastic bag in one hand and squeezed her hand bag handle in the other whilst walking hurriedly through the dark street. Although the neighbouring road was only a couple of minutes walk from her elegant house, the areas seemed to be from two different worlds. The houses were much smaller with less expensive cars parked in their driveways. Never minding the difference in wealthiness, she bowed her head to stare at the ground as she continued to pace cautiously towards her house. 

   Such a fine night; she considered. But her admiration vanished when the bitter, frostbitten air blew harshly in her face and through her ruffled, blond hair. A shiver slithered along her body, spreading goosebumps where they were unwanted. The hairs on the back of her neck stood straight; as if to salute to their sergeant. 

    With a sudden jolt of her head, she turned from the stars to face forwards at the noise of footsteps sounding behind her. The sound of whispered mummers where audible to her ears as she listened intently. Instantly, her heart began to throb with adrenaline and worry. She held up her wrist -dragging the plastic bag up to shake against her thigh - and glanced at the time; 11:56 pm.

    She swallowed nervously before licking her suddenly dry lips. They felt sticky as she spread the saliva around the delicate, ripped texture. Whilst inhaling deeply, she peaked a glance over her shoulder to notice 3 shadowed figures tailing after her in the darkness. She snapped her head forward after peaking for a couple of seconds, hoping they didn't see her looking. She regarded her heart beat quickening until it was too hard to breath without making a raspy sound. 

    Why was she scared? 

    She didn't know that the shadowed figures were bad people, they might have been a couple of friends wanting to get home as eagerly as she did. Yet, something worried her as the footsteps behind her began to sound louder and louder. The shoe soles slapping the ground as they crept closer towards her. 

    How come she didn't realise they were behind her until then? 

    She paced faster along the side of the large brick-brown building before rounding the corner of the pavement to enter her road - Windstock Lane. Suddenly, she halted abruptly as a gasp escaped her tight lips. There, in front of her stood 3 large, interrogating figures. They all wore black hooded jumpers that shadowed their faces. Therefore, their eyes weren't visible to Candice. But, she took her best guess and estimated where their eyes were - most likely staring piercingly back at her. She didn't want to look away from them, that small gesture showed weakness - she thought. However, no matter how hard she tried not to show her emotions to the strangers, she could not deny the feelings of desperation and vulnerability that overwhelmed her shaking body. 

    Worriedly, she clutched her handbag with a firmer hold before turning away from them, only to collide into another dark figure. Her eyes widened as she counted the amount of strangers closing in on her. 

    8, 9, 10? 

    She wasn't sure how many surrounded her, all she could think of was what she could give to them to make them satisfied. 

    Her Gucci watch? 

    Her Prada handbag?

    £20 bills she'd piled into her purse yesterday?

    She thought about pleading to get away from them, beg them to take anything they wanted but to leave her alone in return.

    Safe, alive.

    Even though she could have begged them to release her, she could have escaped herself. 

    But how? 

    She never knew how to fight, and a woman of her age of 52 would never be able to escape from the tightening circle closing in on her.   

    Her whole body shook furiously whilst her knees wobbled, unable to support her body properly. She felt as if she could collapse onto the pavement in front of them all. Her heart beat raced until the thud against her ribcage seemed to be too painful to endure. As she shuddered on her rooted feet - glued to the ground like tree trunks - she watched intensely as the biggest and tallest figure approached her. She finally managed to see his face when he stepped close enough to her. However, his eyes resembled nothing but cruel, harsh and brutal emotions. 

    My eyes fluttered opened as the images vanished from my mind. It was the third time I dreamt the same dream; the same place, the same time, the same woman, the same dark strangers, the same worrying plot. Tiredly, I stared up at the blank shadowed ceiling before turning to face the bed beside mine. There lay Jay as he slept peacefully. His body steadily moving up and down as he inhaled and exhaled. So calm and quiet - unlike myself. My heart was drumming meanwhile beads of sweat trickled down my forehead. I wiped the droplets away with the back of my hand before I turned back to face the ceiling again. 

    I sighed halfheartedly as I closed my eyes, hoping to regain my sleep. But, I groaned when I remembered the dream that seemed to fill every ounce of my mind. The woman's pleading eyes piercing threw mine as I stared at her image. For some reason, I never seemed to exclude her portrait from my head. She seemed so…familiar.