CHAPTER TWO: 'Jenna - Remembrance'

    "Go up and finish packing your room" Ordered my mother from the living room door. I turned to face her, peeling my eyes from the TV screen only to frown at her order.

    "It's only 8 o'clock mum!" I debated whilst crossing my legs beneath myself. Avoiding more eye contact with her, I turned back to the TV in hope that she would leave me alone. But she didn't.

    "Jenna, we need to leave at 10 o'clock promptly tomorrow! Now get up, and finish packing." She strode over to where I was sat and snatched the remote from my hand. With two swift movements, she turned off the TV and flung the remote across the room onto the other 3-seated sofa which was neatly covered in plastic.

       I sighed in defeat and pushed myself off the sofa, walking past my mum. I stomped out of the living room and paced across the hallway to the stairs. As I did so, I looked around the cream coloured walls that decorated the hallway and made it look more spacious than it really was. I peered towards the elegant spiral staircase, assembled with a rich-looking, golden banister. And tomorrow, I would have to leave this house. My home.

       My mother decided it was time to move far away for a fresh start. Despite everything that happened in this town, I feared leaving this house. It held so many beautiful memories, balancing with the unpleasant ones of course. But it was still my home. Boshwood was still my town. Boshwood Senior School was still my school.

       I inhaled deeply before finally hopping up the stairs, lunging in order to miss 3 steps at a time until I reached the landing. I started for my bedroom, pushing open the closed door to find the floor covered in cardboard boxes, just like I’d left it. Each box was labeled with a black marker pen; clothes, shoes, books, accessories and more. As I gazed around my almost empty bedroom, it seemed much larger than it had done only a week before.

       My bedroom was once my sister’s - Penny. Every time I entered through the door, I remembered her angelic face smiling back at me, fighting back the tears that were obviously wrestling against her eyelids. The last memory I have of her was vivid as it ran through my mind each time she was mentioned or summoned up in my thoughts. The last memory before she was forced to leave. I had only spoken to her on the phone twice ever since, but I learnt to battle my urge for conversation and ignored her completely - she needed help.

       With difficulty, I swallowed and easily erased her imagine from my mind afore shutting my bedroom door behind me. I stared ahead to notice my wardrobe doors wide open, as if to welcome me to its emptiness. Inside, all that was found was a medium-sized red, floral box. I tiptoed over the boxes surrounding me towards the old wardrobe, cautious not to fall.

       I picked up the box that held a layer of dust on its roof. With one hand, I scraped off the dust and rubbed my hand against my trousers and watched the bundle of dirt fall to the floor by my feet. I removed the lid to reveal a white photo album labeled 'Photo's 2009'.

       Smiling excitedly, I settled the box on the ground in front of me before seating myself down, pushing away any boxes that got in my way as I did so. Steadily, I reached for the white photo album that seemed to be untouched ever since I remembered placing it in the red box. And for a reason I could not gather, I had never looked threw it since. Carefully, I placed the album in my lap and turned to its first page. In the center of the blank page stuck a picture, both sets of eyes were staring right back at me with the same emotions filling their expressions; happiness.

       However, the feeling growing inside of me as I stared back at the photo was the exact opposite. No wonder I hadn't looked through it for 3 years. I glared back in horror at the two people looking into the camera lens with a numbness that plastered my complexion. Even though there was a painful urge willing me to look away, my eyes would not take the orders my brain was signaling. On the right of the picture stood myself, in the happiest situation I could have ever been in. And on the left, stood the person I trusted the most yet, he'd let me down.