CHAPTER ONE: 'Ky - Recruit'

Here is where it all begins :) Hope you enjoy!! :')

CHAPTER ONE: 'Ky - Recruit': 

    Mesmerising was the sight of such a beautiful sunset, I thought as I beheld my gaze with the blood coloured sky. The sun was disappearing under the horizon ahead, however, the colours that it bled were still visible to my craving eyes. Before I had dropped out of school, I had painted the sun setting behind the sparkling sea that displayed the same smashing colours reflected from the sky. A smile curved onto my lips as I remembered how impressed my art teacher was by my well thought efforts. Unfortunately, the smile quickly vanished from my lips as Jay intruded the vivid memory with his harsh tone of speech.

    "Why such a big grin?" He smirked as he gulped down another mouthful of Coke. 

    As I turned to him, I examined his features whilst he continued to swallow his soft drink. Covering his left eye, was a handful of golden-brown, straight hair; resting over his forehead as it fell freely from the rest. His face was geometrically shaped with a rectangular and impeccably hard jaw line that complimented its structure.  

  Once he was finished with his Coke, he threw the empty can across the long grown grass in front of us. It landed with a silent thud, leaving a hardly visible dent in the grass, before slowly rolling down the hill; its roll getting faster as the short hill steepened. 

    I watched as the can rolled further away from us and towards the park that had been built in front of the long block of council flats. Due to their dull designs, the flats weren't somewhere you would choose to live in, however, I had no choice: my family weren't the richest. The boring white buildings were lined up and stacked on top of each other with dark, wooden balconies standing like fences around the black doors. Each flat had a bathroom, 2 double sized bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room. Although we had everything we needed to live, there was always a part of me that envied the families that owned expensive cars and lived in grand houses, costing them fortunes. Depressively, I turned away from the flats and towards the families huddled in the large park.

    Me and my brother both sat on one of the many benches that lined the park below the hill. Children were playing in the sand pit or swinging on the swings whilst their mothers sucked at their cigarettes or spoke threw their phones. As the sky began to darken above us, the families overcrowding the play areas were clearing from the grounds and entering their flats or cars. 

    However, me and my brother weren't going inside. Instead, we were waiting. Waiting for either a messenger to physically tell us or be told by text or a phone call - where to go and what to do. Even though Jay seemed to be as relaxed as possible, I on the other hand was not. I fiddled with my fingers anxiously, hoping we wouldn't have had to wait much longer under the shadowed sky with no protection against the many criminals that lingered around the area. Not only were the flats un-luxurious to live in, but the whole of the town was an unpleasant neighbourhood. 

    While taking several deep breaths, I wrapped my jacket tighter around my body, trying to avoid the cold September air from stealing my warmth. Eagerly, I rubbed my hands together, hoping the friction would provide me with enough heat to enjoy for a couple of moments. 

    Once a couple of steady minutes passed us, Jay's phone vibrated in his jeans pocket. The sudden jolt of noise startled me from my timidness, making me jump slightly in my seat.  

    "Alright there Ky?" He asked with the same cruel smirk plastered on his face. 

    I decided to ignore his sneery comments and focus on what the text read as he dug into his pocket to pull out his mobile phone and opened the flashing new message. I peaked at his expression to the message, but there was no sign of any emotion. So, sneakily I decided to read it myself, over his shoulder. On the small screen was one simple sentence: Windstock Lane, be there in 20.