Chapter 2

1775 words

7:17pm
Friday March 12, 1965
Tulsa, OK

Y/n pov

I picked up my book bag from where it was tucked neatly beside the couch, pulling out the necessary books to complete the homework.

"All my books are in my room, we can work there if you want" Ponyboy suggested. I nodded and followed him through the house.

When we reached his bedroom, I sat down on his bed. He gave me a weird look, which caused me to blush.

"Uh..is it okay if I sit here?" I asked, shifting nervously in my spot. He nodded before beginning to speak.

"Oh! Yeah that's fine. Sorry, I just never had a girl in my room before..." he mumbled the last part, as if he didn't mean to say it out loud. His ears blushed a fair shade of red. I grinned up at him. He cleared his throat awkwardly, and picked his text books up off the cluttered desk.

"So, what should we start with? English or Math?" Pony questioned, sinking down onto the bed beside me. I thought about it for a moment.

"Wanna do English?" I offered.
"Yeah, sure"

We both pulled out a sheet of paper from our binders.

"Hey Pony, can I borrow a pencil?"
"Yeah, go ahead"

Ponyboy stretched an arm over to his desk, grabbing a pencil and handing it back to me. Our fingers touched and I smiled at the feeling.

"Th-thanks" I stuttered.

I've always had a thing for greasers. There's just something about them that sets them apart from any soc guy. I know if I ever started going steady with a greaser everyone would freak, it's not often you see a soc girl and a greaser boy together. Maybe I oughta change that.

In English we are studying Romeo and Juliet. We were supposed to read act one scene two and answer a couple questions about it by Monday, which shouldn't be too hard.

Ponyboy picked up his book from the desk as I retrieved mine from my book bag.

"Do you wanna read it together?" Ponyboy suggested, flipping through the book.

"Okay sure"

I flipped to the page, and scanned over the script full of large and confusing words.

"Uhh, I'll be Capulet" I announced, before I continued speaking.

"But Montague is bound as well as I, In penalty alike, and 'tis not hard, I think, For men so old as we to keep the peace"

Ponyboy searched the page for his line.

"Of honourable reckoning are you both, And pity 'tis, you liv'd at odds so long. But now, my lord, what day you to my suit?"

I bit my lip to contain a giggle. Ponyboy looked up at me.

"What?" He smirked, cocking an eyebrow. I let the giggle I was holding back escape my lips.

"I don't know, it's just weird to hear you talk like that" I laughed some more, Ponyboy joining me.

"I don't even know what they're talking about" Ponyboy chuckled, shrugging.

"Me neither" I admitted. Ponyboy closed the book sitting on his lap.

"Do you wanna do something else? This ain't fun, and we got all weekend to finish it, you know?" he suggested, placing his book back onto the cluttered desk. I thought about it for a moment.