Chapter 3

2735 words

1:34am
Saturday March 13, 1965
Tulsa, OK

Y/n pov

My eyelids shut tighter as the quiet whispers of boys from the other room hit my ears. I was too tired to process anything, and too lazy to care.

It dawned on me that I wasn't at home, in my own bed, when I heard Ponyboy's light breathing from next to me. My eyes slowly blinked open, and I carefully turned to face him.

He was sound asleep. He looked so cute, with his nose all scrunched up, and his chest rising and falling slowly.

I shook him lightly.

"Ponyboy, wake up" I whispered softly, bringing my face down next to his ear so he could hear me better. Ponyboy shifted slightly then opened his eyes, squinting from the brightness of his desk lamp that was left on.

"Wh..What time is it?" he yawned, rubbing his tired eyes. I let out a soft yawn also.

"I don't know, I fell asleep too"

"Are the boys home yet?" Pony asked in a panic. I shrugged, standing up and straightening out my shirt.

"I heard someone out there earlier. Maybe we should go check" I suggested. Ponyboy nodded worriedly before standing up also.

We silently crept through the cracked door, towards the living room. Sodapop was lying on the couch. He looked in our direction and smiled.

"Hey you two, finally awake?" Soda asked, chuckling lightly. Pony glared at him.

"Where's Steve?" I questioned curiously. Soda stared at me a second before answering.

"He went back home. He thinks you're over at your mom's" Soda explained.

"How 'bout the rest of the gang?" Ponyboy interrogated.

"They all went back to their houses too. Oh, and I told Darry Y/n went home. You owe me Pony"

Pony nodded gratefully, his ears reddening.

"Thanks Soda" we said in unison.

"Yeah, no problem"

"Y/n, you can stay the rest of the night if you want. I can sleep out on the couch" Soda offered.

"What about Darry? He'll see me in the morning"

"I can drive ya home before he gets up" he continued. I looked over to Ponyboy who was standing on my right.

"Is that okay with you, Ponyboy?" I asked nervously. He nodded, a small grin appearing on his lips.

"Alrighty then it's settled. Night you two" Sodapop said, pulling a thin blanket over his stretched body.

"Goodnight" Ponyboy and I said before leaving. Pony walked a bit ahead of me, so I stepped back into the living room to say one last thing to Soda.

"Oh yeah, and Soda?" I popped my head back into the living room.oi
"Hm?"

"Would ya mind not telling Steve about this? He'd freak if he found out I was staying over at a boy's house" I explained.

"Shoot, kid. Alright I won't say anything. But ya owe me" he replied with a smirk.

"Okay. Night, Soda" I giggled, retreating back to Pony's room. I slipped through the cracked open door, to see Pony already changed into a white t-shirt and pyjama pants. I stood awkwardly in my uncomfortable cheer uniform.