Chapter 6

I got into bed and sat up against the headrest. Brett sat on the opposite edge of the bed.
"So you never answered my question from earlier." He says looking at me like I should know what he's talking about.

"Which was?" I say in an annoyed tone. Honestly I just wanted to sleep.

"I asked what have you been doing that made you so tired."

"Well gee, I wonder. I mean it's not like I've been running for the past two or three days straight. I could barely stop for one second without being attacked by some stupid rouge" I answer getting angry.

He looks concerned and asks, "Why were you being attacked by so many rogues?"

"To be honest for as long as I can remember rogues have been chasing me. I never really knew why."

I hoped he would stop questioning me, because I was starting to get angry. But alas, he either didn't notice or chose to ignore my feelings.

"Well it kind of makes, sense rogues have a reputation for being foul and ruthless. You're lucky they didn't kill you instantly because that's what they do. Plus, they normally want some type of revenge against their pack. Just the other week we had to kill one that crossed onto our land. So overall rogues are just-"

He probably could've gone on for hours but considering I was technically still a rogue I took this offensive and interrupted him.

"What foul, evil, ruthless? You know I'm actually quite confused. Earlier you spoke about rogues almost as equals to a pack. But now your talking about them as if they're a piece of meat that could be devoured in an instant. Also, I don't know if you remember but technically I'm still a rouge. Does that mean you should've killed me? If so, go ahead. I'd rather be dead than stay with someone who dislikes 'people' like me."

Apparently, this angered him because he got up and practically yelled, "Don't you ever say that again! I couldn't live with myself if I ever hurt you."

I responded in a small voice with, "You just did."

"Princess-" he tried to make it better but no words could fix what he had just said to me.

"Goodnight Brett." I whispered as I rolled to the side of the bed opposite the door.

Right before the door shut I heard Brett whisper, "I'm sorry."

Sorry doesn't fix everything Einstein. I think to myself. Once he's gone I'm left with thoughts. The first thing I think is, if I wasn't his mate would I be dead right now? I ponder this question for a good while. After about an hour of staring up at the ceiling while thoughts run through my head. I close my eyes hoping for sleep. But right when I'm on the verge of sleep, Alexa decides to chime in.

Our mate hates us. He thinks we're not good enough. She whimpers in my head.

You don't know that. I reply to her sadly.

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself that...You know what we should do? She says perking up a little.

What? I ask, a little annoyed because someone is yet again interrupting my sleep.

We should go for a run and not come back. She suggests.

That's a nice idea but how would we get out? He'll hear the door open. I say in a duh tone.

Uhhh. You do know there's a window, right. I'm too tired of her yapping to protest. So I quietly get out of bed, pack a small bag of clothes and move towards the window. It opens with ease and I look down. Not too high. I've jumped from trees that were taller than this, I think to myself. I jump down into the backyard, before my feet even hit the ground I've shifted into my silky silver wolf.

I take off, running through the trees, dodging rocks and fallen logs. I run until my legs feel weak, forcing me to stop and take a break. I slow down and hear running water ahead so I walk towards it, hoping to have some water and rest for bit. I come closer and see...