☆1☆

Math. It was Ryan's least favorite subject. He was one of the two seventh graders in his Algebra 1 class, the rest was filled with eighth graders. His seat was in the back left corner, while the other seventh grader's was three desks away. He believed the kid's name was Brandon. He wasn't sure and he was bad at names. He also didn't care. He was a smart, "edgy", just barely teenager, he turned thirteen a month ago.

"Okay, students!" Mrs. Edmonds smiled. She was too happy for seven forty-five. "I have a project for you! Since we are reviewing slope, why not make it a bit more interactive?" A few of Ryan's peers groaned. "For the next few days, you will be partnered up to graph the results of a selection of balls-" a few boys laughed, causing the teacher to glare, "-to choose from. You will drop them at a certain height and record the data for each bounce. You will graph the data in the straightest line estimated that you can. You will have to find the slope of each line. This will be put on a poster that you will create out of school. Any questions?"

One girl raised her hand, Ryan knew her as Sarah. Ryan's opinion of Sarah was not great. Sure, she was pretty and outgoing, but she tried too hard. She just had to be the best. "Can we pick our partners?" she asked.

"Yes, you may. Any other questions?" she paused. "No? Okay, get in your partnerships and line up at the door when you find your partner!"

Ryan sat in his seat. Talking to people he didn't know gave him anxiety. He looked around, hoping someone he knew from his study hall would be his partner. He looked around and noticed that Brandon kid was sitting as well. The two made eye contact. Ryan thought the boy had nice eyes. It was a weird thought, he told himself.

Ryan mouthed, "Wanna be partners?" while shrugging.

The boy shrugged. "I guess," he mouthed back. The two got up with a notebook and pencil in their hands and lined up behind the other groups.

"Let's head outside!" Mrs. Edmonds cheered as she lead the kids out to the side of the building where their "recess" is held. "Recess" occurred during the period you had lunch. When you finished eating you could go outside or stay in.

When the class got outside, there was a bucket of an assortment of balls. Ping pong balls, tennis balls, bouncy balls, and plenty of other small balls. There was also a pile of yardsticks for them to measure with.

"Class, I also forgot to mention that you have to use at least three balls!" the teacher announced.

Ryan went to grab a yardstick while his partner stayed standing on the blacktop. Ryan returned to his partner. "So, what balls do you want to choose?"

The boy cracked a smile because he was one of the most immature kids in Ryan's grade. "Let's start off with a ping pong ball," he suggested.

**

They didn't make much of a conversation during the experiment. They had finished recording the data for each of the balls they had chosen when their teacher spoke up.

"Okay, we have five minutes to get cleaned up and back inside. This was the only day in class to finish this, so if you need a pass to come here during your free period I will give one to you when we get back. You have until Monday to finish this. Make sure you have your partner's contact information so you can get together to finish the project. Okay, kiddos, let's go back in!"

The class went back into the classroom where both of the boys pulled out their phones. They swapped and put in their phone numbers, then gave their phones back. Ryan looked down at his phone. Oh, his name is Brendon, he thought. The bell rang and he tucked his phone into his pocket, grabbing his stuff and meeting up with Spencer as he left the class.

---

A/N: I described Sarah the same way I describe a Sarah I know lmao.

There's a theory that Twenty One Pilots is releasing music on April 13th. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be nice.

I've been listening to The 1975 recently. It's different from what I usually listen to, but it's good.

Song Suggestions:

Nana ● The 1975

Planetary (GO!) ● My Chemical Romance