☆4☆

Brendon had sat with Spencer and Ryan at lunch for the rest of the week. They all got to know each other better. Brendon had secured the date of when they'd finish the project, which was Friday night. Brendon had also offered for Ryan to stay the night, which he agreed to. He wanted as much time as he could have away from his drunken father. Luckily there was one day where Ryan's dad didn't come home drunk, which was when he asked him to go to Brendon's.

Ryan got home from school and raced up the stairs to his room so he could pack for the evening. He didn't want to take too long so his drunk father could stop him. He packed his pajamas and a change of clothes, as well as a toothbrush and toothpaste. He shoved his phone charger into the string bag and ran back down the stairs. He set it down by the garage while he went in to grab his bike, returning to get the bag soon after. He shoved his string bag into his backpack and slung the straps over his shoulders. He opened his front door and pushed his bike outside, later closing the door and locking it with his house key. He held onto the handles of his bike as he pushed it onto his driveway where he hopped on and peddled to the address Brendon had given him.

In around five minutes, Ryan was in Brendon's driveway. He double checked the address on his phone's GPS before going up the steps and knocking. Seeing that it was the right house, he pushed his bike forward and leaned it on one of the steps as he knocked on the door. There were a few muffled sounds coming from the inside before the door in front of him was opened by a woman who Ryan assumed to be Brendon's mom.

"You must be Ryan, yes?" she asked him. Ryan simply nodded in response. "Well, Ryan, I'll call Brendon down here in a moment. I'm his mother." She looked behind Ryan. "I'll set your bike in our garage, but come on in." She stepped out of the way to let Ryan inside, then walked his bike to their garage, the storm door shutting behind her. He heard footsteps rushing down the stairs and saw the boy making the noise, Brendon.

"Hey, Ryan! Ready to work on the amazing project?" Brendon asked, putting sarcasm on the word "amazing".

"Sure," Ryan shrugged back.

"Follow me, you can put your stuff in my room." Brendon lead Ryan upstairs and to the last room on the right. The door had a paper taped to it that read, "KEEP OUT" in bold, red letters. Brendon pushed open the partially cracked door. "Set your bag wherever, I'm going to get the stuff for the poster." Brendon turned and walked out of the room and down the hall.

Ryan set his bag next to Brendon's desk and sat down on the desk chair. Brendon's room was covered in posters from various bands, and Ryan couldn't tell what color the walls were because of them. Brendon had a twin sized bed with dark blue sheets on it and a wooden dresser. Another minute passed or Ryan studying the room when Brendon walked back in with a poster board and other materials in hand. Brendon kicked the door closed with his foot and proceeded to set the materials on the floor.

"I think this is everything, got the data?" Brendon asked, looking at Ryan.

"Yep," he replied, bending over and pulling out his notebook from his bag.

"Well, let's get to it!" Brendon smiled with sarcastic enthusiasm.

**

It took about three hours to finish the project, not including the time where they were called down to eat. Brendon's parents and a few of his older siblings made small talk, nothing interesting.

As the boys were picking supplies up to be put away, they both reached to grab a marker at the same time. Brendon had grasped it first, causing Ryan's fingers to brush over top of his friend's hand.

"Sorry," Ryan said, pulling his hand away. A small blush was creeping onto his cheeks. He also felt a weird tingling sensation he had never felt before. He didn't understand what this feeling was. He'd never really felt this around anyone. It was like a pang of nervousness, but different. Ryan brushed it off, however, and told himself it was nothing.

They had finished picking things up and Brendon suggested that they watch a movie. They went downstairs to the basement, and Brendon told Ryan he could pick a movie on Netflix while he got popcorn for them. He returned a few minutes later, and Ryan started playing the movie he chose. Brendon sat the bowl of popcorn between the two of them on the couch.

**

As they were watching the movie, they had both reached their hands into the bowl, fingers touching each other. Ryan got the weird feeling he had earlier again and shoved a handful of popcorn into his mouth to try and ignore it.

"You know, I was thinking," Brendon started, breaking the silence, "I should ask Sarah to be my girlfriend. She's been really nice to me lately. I think I should do it."

Ryan was chewing some popcorn he had put in his mouth, then swallowed. A kernel got stuck in the back of his throat, so he coughed awkwardly for a few moments. "Sure, why not?" he shrugged after he was able to regain his composure. After the words left his mouth, he felt a weird sinking feeling in his stomach.

"I'll do it Monday, then," Brendon smiled to himself. Ryan was then dreading Monday even more, and he didn't know why.

---

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in a week, I've had writer's block and I've been busy. I've also been working on a new fic, I probably shouldn't be, but I am.

My emotions were all out of whack when I watched the making of Pretty. Odd. and I cried during every song. Not sure why since I haven't really cried to those while just listening to them on the album.

Song Suggestions:

Smile Like You Mean It ● The Killers

Take A Vacation! ● The Young Veins