☆12☆

It was New Year's Eve.

Ryan hadn't talked to Brendon at all since he sent the long message a few weeks back. Since then, his mood hasn't been the best. He still talked and hung out with Spencer, but he wasn't as happy as he was when he had Brendon there with him. Brendon was his sun, illuminating Ryan's dark craters and exposing the secrets.

He was home alone, his father was at some bar, partying the year away. He had the TV in the living room on one of the channels that broadcast New Year's countdowns. Other than the buzzing of the TV, there was no other noise echoing throughout the house.

That is, until someone knocked on the door.

Ryan reluctantly got up, thinking it was his dad who would probably be too drunk to successfully open the door. He realized, however, that there were still 5 more minutes left in the year, so his dad would still be at the bar. Ryan made his way to the door and opened it without looking through the peephole.

That was a mistake.

Brendon was standing outside, looking awkward but ready to let words spill out of his mouth.

Which is exactly what happened.

"Ryan, I am so sorry for what I said. You were right. I-I should have listened to you. I thought my beliefs were right, b-but they aren't. At least, I don't think they are. I shouldn't believe in what my parents tell me. That's how most kids make their opinions, right? Well, I want to break that and start making my own decisions. I want to believe in what's right, which is not what my 'religion' has told me. I'm really, really sorry, Ryan. I shouldn't have acted the way I did. And, um, I miss you. A lot." Brendon finally looked into Ryan's eyes, because he had just been looking at his hands the whole time.

"Thanks," Ryan started, "thanks for apologizing, I guess. What are doing here this late anyway?"

"I didn't want to start the new year without you," Brendon smiled bashfully. "And my parents don't know I left either."

Ryan just stared with a smile tugging on his lips. He pulled Brendon into a tight hug. "Honestly," he said into the side of the younger boy's head, "I didn't want to either." And with that, they pulled apart. Ryan could hear the countdown starting from the TV. "Want to come in?"

"Sure," Brendon replied, and Ryan grasped his friend's wrist and dragged him into the living room.

"Five!" they chanted in unison.

"Four!"

"Three!" they smiled at each other.

"Two!"

"One!" they yelled.

"Happy New Year," Brendon grinned. He grabbed Ryan's shoulders and planted a hard, fast kiss on his cheek. "See you at school!" he yelled over his shoulder. Brendon rushed out of Ryan's house, leaving Ryan in his shocked state.

"S-S-See y-you," Ryan stuttered when the door slammed shut. He fell onto the couch and screamed into the cushions like a girl.

That night, or morning, when he fell asleep, he had the best sleep he's ever had.

Thanks, Brendon.

---

A/N: Wow, I haven't updated this in a week (which is a while considering I usually update more frequently). I always try to make it to 600 words, but it gets more around 500, which is annoying.

I do believe that Ryan is the sun and Brendon is the moon, but for this story, it was more appropriate to have it the other way around.

Thank you so much for all of the support on this story and hidden hearts.

Check out my friend's phanfiction, strawberries & cigarettes @obsessedwithdnp

Check out my other friend's The Maze Runner imagines and chapter imagine @emmagrace523