1.2

+NARRATOR
THE PAST, THE DAY HE MET HIM

"EVAN"

"are you nervous much?" calista asked in a shaky tone. she felt nervous herself and she'd managed to project the same worries onto evan who had been fine before her extensive questioning.

"nah," he replied with a careless shrug of the shoulders, "should i be?"

she paused for a moment, thinking about whether grayson would kick up a stink at the fact she was bring her new boyfriend to a friend get-together. "nope," she lied reluctantly. there was no way on this beautiful earth that grayson would be okay with evan's presence at bowling night but she wouldn't let that stop her from integrating him into the group. "you'll be fine."

"cool," he smiled.
__________

they walked into the bowling alley, arms linked as they snuggled together while the hot air began to warm their cold bodies. everyone's heads swivelled as winona pointed to the two and it was then that calista and grayson made eye contact.

he looked happy for a moment, his handsome facial features creased to make a slight smile but that was shattered only seconds after as he realised what was going on - as he took into account the man next to her, holding his girl. then his face dropped and his eyes became dark and wide, his body language melancholy. nonetheless, to please cali he waved briefly. to smile again proved too much of a challenge so the picture calista saw was a sad, defeated grayson from afar moving his hand in the path of a wave to be polite, yet, she could sense his despair.

she started to feel guilty for not telling him that she'd be bringing evan but she feared he wouldn't show up if he knew what awkwardness was awaiting him this evening. however, it didn't feel as awkward in the moment - only heartbreaking.

the pair finally reached the group. one which cali strangely felt estranged from now that she'd done this despite the fact that they were all a big family. jordan, winona's boyfriend, finally piped up breaking the odd silence between everyone.

"who's this?" he smiled, embracing his friend while waiting for an answer before he'd greet her guest. as she hugged jordan, calista couldn't help but let her eyes flicker towards grayson who now seemed a little on edge as he too appeared eager for an answer to the big question.

"this is evan, my boyfriend," she smiled back as they pulled apart and she clutched onto evan once again, squeezing his arm as though to say she was there for him during this awkward moment. he outstretched his arm for jordan to shake which he gladly did.

"it's nice to meet you, evan," he beamed, "i'm jordan. this is my girlfriend winona," he said introducing the two as she came up beside him to greet the newcomer.

"hi," he said sort of sheepishly as his confidence from earlier on had faltered.

jordan then turned slightly to face the group, "then on your right we have harry who's super cocky and annoying," jordan laughed as did everyone else as he was managing to change the uncomfortable atmosphere.

"mate, how am i annoying?" he scoffed jokingly, "everyone loves me." he smirked

jordan continued, ignoring his friend as his attention stayed with evan, "he brings a new girl to these get togethers almost every time without fail. he's the definition of a serial dater." this comment shut harry up who smiled and shrugged shamelessly, although the slight peachy blush on his cheeks told otherwise. his latest fling, isla, laughed along with everyone else trying not to seem hurt as she believed she could be the one to change him.

"then there's spencer and belle who are so sickeningly in love you should just ignore them all the time. seriously," he chuckled, "if you stare at them too long your insides will go all mushy. they're always glued together." the pair rolled their eyes, as belle's head rested on spennie's chest - ultimately proving jordan right as you wouldn't be able to find even a millimetres gap between the couple.

"finally," he cleared his throat, "the twins e–"

"–ethan and grayson," evan finished his sentence as finally he'd come across people he recognised due to his girlfriend's stories.

"yep. haven't got anything bad to say about these guys. well... their only flaw is that they're american," he smiled, cracking his final joke. "you might have to tune out while they're speaking every once in a while and remind yourself of what a normal accent sounds like. british," he grinned as he earned the middle finger from both boys.

"shut the fuck up jordan," grayson scowled playfully. "now i know why you don't remember anything i say - you don't fucking hear it in the first place!" he smiled to the chorus of laughter from the group. "anyway, you failed to introduce yourself and winona properly. they argue all the time," he exposed, now turning his attention towards evan. "in fact you might want to invest in some quality ear plugs."

"note taken," evan replied, feeling a little more at ease now that he'd been acknowledged by who was supposedly the one to be wary of. the ex-boyfriend.

"nice to meet you, man," grayson said warmly, shaking his hand.

"and you bro."
__________

the ten friends all sat in a booth as their bowling fun had come to an end. grayson and ethan were the champions unsurprisingly as they won a lot of the competitions they'd all play. winona and jordan were a close second and it was safe to say a certain somebody was still salty during dinner.

"cheer up winnie," ethan smirked, "better luck next time, hm?" he said, winding her up as he bit into his bacon and cheeseburger. she squinted at him as her competitive streak was still very much active.

"if i didn't have jordan on my team i could've beaten you. he's dead weight," she chuckled, nudging him in the arm.

"ouch," he feigned sadness.

"next time me and cali can swap and i'll take evan."

calista rolled her eyes at her best friend's comment, clutching onto her boyfriend protectively. although, she was happy he was being welcomed into the group so well and that grayson had behaved and acted civil towards the stranger.

she was wrong about him.

funnily enough, in the moments she always expected the worst from him, he'd surprise her with his actions and do the unexpected.

evan smiled before asking, "next time?"

"yep. you're one of us now," she beamed back raising her brows. a comfortable silence followed as everyone continued to eat the rest of their delicious dinner in peace. the sounds of scraping and clinking metal cutlery and drinks being swigged down filled the void.
__________

"can i talk to you for a sec?" grayson asked as everyone was putting their coats, ready to call it a night and head home. a nervous expression washed over his face as he looked innocent and angelic, almost insecure as he lightly bounced around fidgeting with his zipper.

"of course," the love of his short, little life replied while tucking her hair into her faux fur coat. she told evan she'd be back shortly before wandering off to a corner with her former boyfriend. "what's up?"

"he's nice," grayson nodded, seemingly as though he was convincing himself instead of complimenting her. he looked into her beautiful brown eyes and then further down to her red, full lips as he longed to just grab her face and kiss her with a force, with passion and intent.

"thank you," she blushed, "he's really amazing when you get to know him. a really nice guy," she added.

grayson sighed, looking before him at the girl who had given him all his best memories in life to date, and felt only emptiness inside. "i'm really glad you're happy. i love you so much. and if he has a part to play in it then i guess i like him," he smiled which got a laugh out of cali.

"thanks gray," she grinned, "i'm so thankful that you took this well and that we can continue to be friends."

"of course," he laughed, pulling her in for a tight, warm hug. his big, muscular arms wrapped around her waist lovingly as his head sunk into the crook of her neck. his lips grazing her soft, delicate skin. "you've got to move on and i respect that but you and me are forever. don't forget it because i won't." and with that he planted a light kiss on her before walking away.

SANGFROID
Copyright © All Rights Reserved