Chapter 17

I wake up to the loud vibrating noise of my phone going off. It's still dark outside. I squint from the bright light of my phone screen. Haley was calling. I swipe to answer it.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Mia! Hi, you need to pick me up now," She replies in an urgent whisper. I get phone calls from her at night, but never did I have to pick her up.

"Oh my god Haley, are you okay?" I ask getting on some slippers.

"Uh, kinda?" 

"Kinda? I'm on my way down the stairs." I'm still have asleep, so clumsy me trips and falls down the stairs. This event also caused the dogs to start barking. "Shhh! Boys, it's me." I whisper, causing them to stop barking.

"Mia! Are you okay?" Haley asks from the phone.

"Uh, yeah." I say as I stand up. Just then Ryan emerges, from his room.

"Mia? It's 3 in the morning. What are you doing?" Ryan asks.

"Can't talk Ryan, I'll be back soon." I say as I run into the car. I put the phone back to my ear. "Wait, Haley, at your house?"

"Uhm, yeah, just park on the street, don't pull into the driveway or anything." She answered.

"Okay, I'm am speeding there. I'll be there any minute now." I say as I speed through the neighborhood. I near her house and slow by the curb, and park by the mailbox. I see Haley climb out of her window, with a small suitcase. She runs to the car.

"Hi!" She greets as she slams her door shut, "Drive!"

"What's happening?" I ask nervously, as I hear police sirens in the background.

"Well, those are going to my house. I fell asleep listening to their arguments. I was woken up, by my dad. He told me, 'Go pack up and run. Get as far from mom as possible. She has a gun.' And then he called 911 in my room, which is when I called you. I hope he is okay. I love him so much." Haley said as she started to cry.

"He is okay. The cops are at your house now. You saw him in your room when you left. Your mom couldn't have done anything terrible in 15 seconds." I say as we park the car in the driveway. We could see that the lights are on, in the house, meaning my parents are up.

"You are probably right. I'm just really fucking scared Mia. Dad and I could have died." Haley said with wide eyes.

"That's true. But you didn't. That has to mean something right?" I ask as I put my arm on her shoulder.

"Yeah, I guess," Haley says with a sigh.

"Uh, so, it looks like my parents are up." I say.

"Well, they are going to learn one way or another." Haley says, as she hops out of the car.

"True," I say, as we head to the door.

I open the door, and I am greeted by very worried parents.

"Mia! Why would you-" They stop when they see Haley, "Hi Haley"

"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Johnson. I have something to tell you."

"Oh, okay, come sit." My mom says as we walk to the living room. Ryan and Katie has joined us too.

Once we are all settled, Haley starts. "Let me explain everything before questions. I'm gonna keep this story short. I am perfectly fine. So, my parents. My mother can be a little abusive to me. My father has never hurt me, he just yells at me. They fight a lot. I love them, so I never told anyone, except Mia. But, tonight, my dad woke me up. He told me to run. My mom had a gun. So I called Mia, while he called 911. And that brings me here."

"Oh, sweetie. You poor thing." My mom said, as she went to sit by Haley and gave her a hug.

"Haley, you could have told us." My dad added.

"I know, but I didn't want my mom to go to jail or something." Haley said sadly.

"It's okay Haley. As long as you are safe, and okay now. Why don't all you kids go to bed for a few more hours." My mom said softly. With that we all went back to bed.

~*~*~

I wake up a few hours later, and go on my phone until Haley wakes up. About 10 minutes later I hear her shuffle. I look over the side of my bed, and see Haley's eyes open.

"Good morning." I says with a yawn.

"Good morning back at you." She says with a smile. It's good to have the happy Haley back.

"Ready for some food?" I say when I hear her stomach grumble.  

"Oh yeah," She says. We head downstairs to the sound of people talking in hushed voices. We exchange weird looks. When we enter the living room, we see a police officer talking to my parents.

"Good morning girls," my mom says.

"Mornin'" We reply.

"We have doughnuts in here." My dad offers, "Why don't you two come join us?"

"Okay," we say, not really having a choice. We sit down on the couch, and each grab a doughnut. We still are a bit confused by this situation.

"So, girls, you might be wondering why a police officer is here. He wants to talk to Haley." My mom says, with a sad smile.

"Okay," Haley says.

"Hi Haley. I'm officer Graystone. I know you have been going through a lot. The Johnsons told me what you told them. The department and I have been working since when we got the 911 call. This is what is going to happen. Your mother was found with a gun. She is going to be held in jail, until she can go to court. She will be tried with attempted murder against your father. It seems like your father has a clean record. He is innocent, and you will still be able to live with him. Is that okay?"

"Yes, that's great." Haley says with a smile.

"Awesome, do you have any questions?"

"When will the court date be?"

"It is not set in stone, but most likely in a few months." 

"Okay, thank you Officer." Haley said, as she shook his hand.

"No problem, if you need anything, here is my card."

"Thanks" Haley said.

"Thank you officer" My parents said as they walked him out.

"So?" I ask, wondering how she feels about all this.

"I don't know. I'm happy. I think. I love my mom, but not if she tried to shoot my dad." Haley says.

"How do you feel about living alone with your dad?" I ask.

"Fine, I guess. I feel like he was being poisoned by mom. Like, she made him mad, and he that's why he yelled at me all the time. I just feel guilty I never said anything."

"Well, it's all better now." I say with a smile.

"It is, I guess I'm going back home tonight." She says with a smile.

"I guess you are."

~*~*~

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please comment, vote, and follow.

Love you all,

E<3