Chapter One/ Burn

Year 2092

A Small Town in Connecticut

The smell of charred wood wakes me up. "Shoot."

I take a look at my house, which is burning and turning into a ruin. I spare a quick glance at my beloved bookshelf, which is now nothing but kindling for the fire. Everything is burning except for my bed. I silently thank my mom for making me get a bed with metal poles.

The fire doesn't frighten me. Nothing does anymore.

It's been 16 years since the Micron landed on Earth. It hasn't been the same.

Commander Ece Tudor was found dead in the NASA HQ, along with the young cadet, Matthias Fraser.

After this news was broken to the public, the planet was thrown into a frenzy.

Events like my house being on fire isn't unusual. It's not strange.

The Micron have invaded Earth. And they won't leave anyone alive. Any human that is.

Ever since the Micron from the spaceship have landed, a virus has started spreading. We call it the Giridore. 

It slowly warps a person's brain and body, turning them into a Micron. The Giridore Changing gives the person Micron abilities. The last known abilities that were discovered were telepathy, and short bursts of electrical shocks. No one knows if there are anymore.

I silently and quickly jump out of my bed and grab my small backpack that's hanging from the door frame. I always keep it ready. 

Just in case.

I grab my favorite set of weapons, passed down by my older brother, Troy. The bright embers of the fire jumped around, casting an orange glow on the twin set of daggers in my hand. I take the stairs three at a time, wincing at the pain in my feet. 

"NAVEAH ROCHA! YOU GET OUT OF THAT HOUSE RIGHT NOW!" I hear Troy yell from outside.

This is how we treat life now. With ease. And no hesitation.

I spot Troy through the charred remains of the front door. He has a cocky grin on his face and is holding his machete and a small blue backpack that's tattered and dirty.

I scramble out and flop onto the used-to-be-green grass. Troy sits down next to me.

"Our childhood home. Gone." The depth and grief in his voice surprises me.

I turn to face Troy. "Don't dwell on it. Mom and Dad are dead. Now our home is gone. There's nothing I care about except for you. We should leave this town. It's doomed now anyways, since the Micron have set their eyes on it. Come with me Troy. We can disappear."

Troy faces me with a battle-hardened face. The weariness and shadows flickering across his face make him look older than he actually is.

Troy is 24 and I'm 19 years old. Mom and Dad both disappeared 6 years ago, leaving us to think that they are dead. We have nothing left.

"I'm sorry Naveah. I can't leave our home. I'm done watching the world fall to these creatures. Earth is our home. We live here, and no one should be able to steal that from us." Troy spoke with resignation and force. 

I sigh. "Troy. I can't leave you. Let me stay."

He smiled sadly.

"We're in this together."