Chapter 3/ Old York

Year 2092

Old York (Current New York)

The building is crumbling. I'm falling.

A strangled scream escapes my throat as I fall out of a shattered glass window.

And then a pair of arms wrap around my waist, grabbing me.

Gasping, I turn around to thank Troy. That's when I realize that the person holding me isn't Troy.

With a yelp, I wriggle out of the stranger's arms and crumple onto the rock and glass remains below me.

"Who are you?" I ask, surveying the stranger carefully. He stands up and I notice that this man has a good 5 inches on me. I watch as he holds his hand out to me. "Kane. Kane Meyer."

I slowly reach out and shake his hand. "What's a lovely young lady like you doing out here?" Kane rakes a hand through his hair. 

I grumble. Okay, so he's gonna pretend to be SUPER sweet right now. "What's a boy like you doing out here?"

Kane laughs. "Cheeky. I'm a Hunter. I actually had a territory change and was assigned to Sector 78 today. Lucky I didn't complain. I wouldn't have met you otherwise." Kane notices my confused expression. "Uh. You don't know about the Saviors?" 

I mutter a small no.

Kane suddenly grabs both my hands in his. "Don't mention me to anyone. Nobody, you hear me? This was all a big mistake. If the Court hears about this, I'm dead. Dead, understand? So if you ever wanna see this pretty face again, don't speak about this to a single soul."

He slowly starts backing away. And I notice something. Something I didn't see before. A tattoo on the side of his neck. I peer at it with increased curiosity. A bar code. With a series of numbers and letters underneath. SOFE-KM-H983

Kane notices me staring and claps a hand over tattoo. "Please. Forget you met me." And with that he ran.

Ran.

From me. From change. From the Other Side.