V.

CHAPTER FIVE
[ greywater ]

THE FIRST PLACE SHE DECIDED TO GO WAS GREYWATER WATCH

THE FIRST PLACE SHE DECIDED TO GO WAS GREYWATER WATCH. The lord there, Howland Reed, was an old friend of Ned Stark's, and, she reasoned, if anyone would ally themselves with her, it would be him. Besides, Greywater was nearer by than any other place, and she was not in the mood to be captured or killed by soldiers of one of the many houses out for her blood.

It took a bit longer than it should have, as she stayed well away from the Kingsroad for fear of being found. It took only a few days travel, on one of which she stopped by a river to wash the dye out of her hair. The familiar silver-blonde appears, framing her bright violet eyes. No one would be able to contest her identity now.

The area surrounding Greywater was a swamp, impossible to travel through and even more impossible to navigate. It was lucky, then, that she spotted the modest castle in the middle of the swamp, atop a crannog. It was nothing much to speak of, just a simple stone castle with a single stone bridge as the only way to access it. Simple, but quite nice, she thought.

Visenya took a deep breath and, with Grey Wind at its heels, urged her horse over the bridge.

There were two archers on the walls, both of which trained their arrows at her heart as she approached. "Not any farther," one told her. "Who are you?"

"My name is Visenya Targaryen," she replied, hoping her voice projected confidence, "and I wish to speak with Lord Reed."

Both archers bursted into laughter, each holding their stomachs as it overtook them. "Visenya Targaryen?" The second one said. "Yeah, and I'm Aegon the bloody Conqueror!"

"Have either of you ever seen a Targaryen?" She asked, guessing from their apparent young age that they had not. When they each shook their heads no, she smiled. "Well, Lord Reed has. So if you would be so kind as to bring him out here, he will tell you who I am."

Taking it as some kind of challenge, the two men retreated inside the castle. A few minutes later, the doors opened and the man she presumed to be Howland Reed walked out.

Visenya dismounted her horse and brushed her hair out of her eyes as he approached, and offered a friendly smile to the older man. "Lord Reed," she greeted, giving a nod of acknowledgment.

"My men say you claim to be Visenya Targaryen," he said, eyes already scanning her face.

"I am Visenya Targaryen. Daughter of Rhaella, sister of Rhaegar, and Rightful Queen of the Seven Kingdoms." But already, she could see that he believed her. With her hair and eyes, how could he not?

"Why are you here, Visenya Targaryen?" He asked, already accepting what he could see with his own eyes. Many men would have continued in their denial for minutes more, but not Howland Reed.

"I seek your help, my lord," she told him. "May I enter? I will leave my weapons at the door, if it please you."

"No need." He waved his hand, dismissing her suggestion. "Come in."

He took her to his solar, where they would have privacy, and offered her a seat across from him at his desk. He poured them both a generous cup of wine, and sat down on the other end of the table. "Seventeen years ago," she began, "I was nearly slaughtered along with the rest of my family. The only reason I am alive today, as I understand we have in common, is Ned Stark. He took me in, raised me as his own daughter, as Asena Stark. I presume you have heard by now what transpired at The Twins."

"I'm afraid not," he replied. "This place is difficult for the ravens to find."

"Then I am sorry to be the one to bear the news. King Robb and the rest of us travelled to The Twins for our uncle Edmure Tully's wedding to Rosalin Frey. There, Walder Frey and Roose Bolton betrayed us, and slaughtered Robb, the man I considered my brother, his pregnant wife, and Catelyn, the woman who raised me as my mother, along with all of our men. I barely made it out with my life."

"I am sorry, my lady, truly. King Robb was a good man, and Lady Catelyn was a dear friend. It grieves me to hear this news, and so soon after Ned. But what does any of this have to do with me?"

"Who I was, Asena Stark, died there with Robb. I am done pretending. I seek justice, for both of my families, and I hope, for whatever love you had for Ned Stark, my father, you will help me get it. When I take the throne, and rule the seven kingdoms."

Howland seemed to ponder this for a while, going over the implications, the consequences of doing such a thing. Finally, he said, "I haven't many swords. Certainly no army, not the one you need."

"That is quite alright. What I need now, more than anything, is a friend. That is why I sought you, my lord, rather than anyone else. Because you were a friend to my father."

"I fought against your family in the rebellion."

"I am aware."

"That does not anger you?"

"I do not blame you for the death of my family, Lord Reed. Was it you who gave the order to slaughter Elia and her children? Was it you who put Rhaegar to the sword?"

"I killed Ser Arthur Dayne, sworn to your house and friend to Prince Rhaegar."

Visenya smiled a little at his attempt to sway her view of him. "I should like to have the man that slew a great swordsman such as the Sword of the Morning guarding my back. I would feel quite safe indeed."

"Are you certain, my lady?"

"Aye, my lord. I am certain."

"Then I shall help you, in any way I can. For Ned."

"For my father," she confirmed, nodding.

"What now, my lady? Where are we to go from here?"

"The only place we can go." She'd thought about it the entire ride from the inn to Greywater. There was only one place that they would not be thrown in a cell or executed upon arrival. Only one place they might find allies. "Dorne."