XI.

CHAPTER ELEVEN
[ visitors ]

HOWLAND WAS WAITING WHEN THEY RETURNED

HOWLAND WAS WAITING WHEN THEY RETURNED. The journey back to Dragonstone was a rather joyous one, with Visenya and Dacey talking practically the entire way as her friend bombarded her with questions. How did you escape? and where did you go? and where have you been?, one after the other they flew from her mouth, and Visenya tried to answer them all to the best of her ability.

At the end of the journey, when Dragonstone was in sight, Visenya stood on deck with Dacey, Arianne, and Oberyn, and spotted Howland waiting on the dock. His expression was not one of a jovial welcome home, but rather was solemn and serious. It brought their joyous journey home to a decisive end.

The moment her foot hit the dock he was upon her. "Your Grace," he began, "there is much news."

"Urgent?" She asked, her eyes reading what she meant to ask: must we do this now?

"I am afraid so, Your Grace."

"Go on, then." She waved her hand, allowing him to begin as they walked together back up to the castle.

"Sansa Stark-" he started, only to be interrupted.

"Aye, I know about Sansa, my lord." And we must find a way to free her.

"Stannis Baratheon is at the Wall. Apparently he saved the Night's Watch from an attack by the wildlings."

"Well, I shall send him a thank you letter, then," she replied, sarcasm dripping from every word, though truly, she was thankful. Jon lived because of her enemy. It was almost laughable.

"Lady Margaery Tyrell has also been wed to Tommen Baratheon, tying the two houses together for good."

"Unfortunate, but inevitable."

"The Night's Watch has also elected a new lord commander."

"Oh?" She asked, "who have they chosen, then?"

"Jon Snow," Howland answered.

"Oh." She felt Dacey and Arianne at her back, both of whom she had told about Jon on the journey back to Dragonstone. The two women stayed close, there if she needed them. "Well, I am sure he will make a fine lord commander. Anything else, my lord?"

"Just a few things, Your Grace," he said as they reached the doors, "we have. . . visitors."

"Visitors?"