X.

CHAPTER TEN
[ white harbor ]

SHE HAD ONLY EVER VISITED WHITE HARBOR ONCE

SHE HAD ONLY EVER VISITED WHITE HARBOR ONCE. It was long ago, and she'd had her father at her side. He was going to visit each keep and holdfast in the North, and she'd begged for weeks to accompany him. It was a tedious task, but all she had ever wanted was to get out of Winterfell for a while and see the rest of Westeros.

White Harbor had seemed so far away and exotic then. A faraway land perched on the edge of the sea. Now, her childhood dreams seemed foolish. Especially as they sailed into the Harbor, where Frey ships were docked. "Two of Frey's grandsons married Lord Manderly's granddaughters," she said aloud, to no one in particular. "An action solely for the purpose of having his son returned to him, I hope."

Wylis Manderly, held by the Lannisters and Freys since the massacre at The Twins. Heir to White Harbor, and Lord Wyman's only surviving son. Her dear friend, Wendel, perished that night.

"Then let us hope Lord Wylis is home already," Arianne said from her side. "It will be much easier to sway Lord Wyman to our side and have him release Lady Dacey if he is."

"Indeed. The Lannisters will have nothing left to hold over them, and Lord Wyman is like to back a northerner." The North Remembers, or so the others had told her. Let us see how well they remember what the Freys have done.

They were stopped the moment their ship docked, and escorted inside to see Lord Wyman. The hall was crowded with Manderlys and crawling with Freys. Too many for her liking, but just the right amount for them to not be outnumbered, if it came to a fight.

They were brought before the lord of White Harbor, and she knew instantly that he recognized her as the little girl who visited his home all those years ago. "You stand before Lord Wyman of House Manderly," a man beside him began, "Warden of the White Knife, Shield of the Faith, Defender of the Dispossessed, Lord Marshal of the Mander, and Knight of the Order of the Green Hand."

Visenya looked to Arianne, who was awaiting her leave to begin. When she nodded, her friend spoke. "I present Visenya of House Targaryen, Second of Her Name, Rightful Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, and Protector of the Realm."

"I have come to you today, Lord Manderly," Visenya began, without allowing anyone else to speak, "because you hold my subject, Lady Dacey Mormont. I ask you to release her."

"Or what?" He retorted. "You have brought no army with you, and you are no Aegon the Conqueror, my lady."

Fire burned in her blood of dragons. "I need not possess dragons to burn White Harbor to the ground." Silence followed her statement, the words ringing true throughout the hall. "But, I do not wish for there to be any ill will between us," she told Lord Manderly, who seemed to relax at this reassurance. "I was raised as a Stark of Winterfell, and House Manderly has always been a friend to House Stark."