XVII.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
[ reunion ]

THEY STOPPED TO REST AT THE TRIDENT

THEY STOPPED TO REST AT THE TRIDENT. It was their only planned rest, as they knew they had to hasten their journey to White Harbor, but it was one she felt must make. She left Aurane to water the horses, and walked down the length of the water until she was certain she would not be heard. There, she knelt on the bed of the river, and closed her eyes.

"Rhaegar," she murmured, picturing her dear brother's face, "I do not know which gods are waiting for us when we die, the old gods, or the Seven, or the Valyrian gods our ancestors kept. But I hope that, wherever you are, you are happy. I hope that you may finally rest." She fiddled with her fingers in her lap, her voice wavering a little. "I miss you, Rhaegar. With everything I am, every moment of every day, I miss you. I hope that you know that. And I hope you know that everything I am is because of you. Because I am forever trying to make you proud. Forever the little girl, chasing after her older brother's approval. I hope I have it.

"Because I am doing this for you, my dear brother. For you, and mother, and even father. I am doing it for my Stark family, too. For all of those I have lost. But for you most of all, because it should have been you. You should have inherited our father's throne, not me." A small smile pulled at her lips. "You would have been a wonderful king. I only wish. . . I wish I had gotten to know you better. I wish I understood why you did the things you did. I wish I could have your counsel, could have you by my side to ask what to do or say when I am lost. And I am lost far too often, my brother, for a queen."

She shook her head, halting her long ramble, before continuing. "But more than anything else I wish I could tell you that I love you, one last time. Because I do. I love you, Rhaegar, and I miss you more than anything. I hope I have made you proud."

She dried the tears that had fallen onto her cheeks, and rose to her feet. As she did, she felt as if there was a hand on her shoulder, guiding her to look into the dense woods nearby. Her eyes searched in between the trees, looking for what might be there. Finally, the brush rustled, and from it emerged a deer.

It was large, larger than any she had ever seen, with broad, sprawling antlers and a coat as white as snow. A white hart, she realized, eyes wide. An incredibly rare beast, and it was as wonderful to behold as the stories said.

Something came over her as she looked at the hart. A strange force, propelling her forward. With soft steps and hands raised to show she meant no harm, she approached the hart. It did not retreat as she came closer, barely even flinches when she reached out to touch it. Instead, it bowed its head to meet her extending hand.

"Hello," she murmured, a soft smile on her lips as her fingers glided over its shiny coat, "aren't you lovely?"

She stroked its nose for a while, until it finally pulled away. It disappeared back into the trees, leaving her with a sense of complete awe. As she walked back to Aurane and the horses, she could not help but feel that something magical had happened.