How did I end up in the hospital room with Connor for the third time this week? I don't even know the answer to that question. I always make sure I'm with a member of his family in case he wakes up while I'm in here. This time it's Zoe.

He's been awake on and off, never long enough to take proper notice of who's in the room though. I'm thankful for that.

His parents, mostly Cynthia, have thanked me multiple times for 'saving' Connor's life. I seriously doubt I saved him. Anyone could've called an ambulance with half the hesitance I had.

A soft groan comes from beside me. I look over to Connor to see him trying to push himself into a sitting position.

"I'll get a doctor," Zoe says. I go to tell her I'll do it but she's already walking out of the room.

I look back at Connor. He's glaring at me. "What the fuck are you doing here? Wasn't 'saving' me enough for you?"

"W-well, y-you see, you're parents, they-they kinda think we're, uh, they think we're friends?" I stammer out. Somehow his glare gets harder.

"And who told them that? You probably convinced them we're friends so you could get closer to Zoe to make your fucking fantasies a reality."

"I-I never said anything about a-any fantasies with Z-Zoe. I-I don't- I would never- l-leave Zoe out of this. Please. Th-they brought it up on their own." Technically they did, I just answered from impulse.

"They know I don't have friends."

I stay silent. My mom knows I haven't mentioned a friend besides Jared in years. Why didn't she question this? Clearly she'd be upset about me not telling her and if I tell her I lied she'd still be upset so either way, she'll end up feeling horrible. Let's not even mention how Connor's parents would react if Connor told them that we're not actually friends.

"Why are you so quiet? If you're gonna lie about being my friend you could at least make conversation," Connor glances away with his arms crossed.

"S-Sorry. I-It's just that...s-someti-"

"Connor! You're awake!" I get cut off by a doctor walking into the room with Zoe. The doctor checks Connor's vitals and scribbles things down onto the clipboard at the edge of his bed. "Would it be okay if I asked you two to leave? I need to ask Connor some questions. Uh, Zoe was it?" Zoe nods. "Could you call your parents and see if they could come down here real quick?" she says with a smile.

"Of course ma'am," Zoe takes her phone out of her pocket and steps out of the room.

"Uh, I-I'm just gonna...gonna go," I mutter before speed-walking out of the hospital room. I check the time on my watch. It's 5:57, Mom's not off her shift yet. She should still be here. Whatever.

I start toward the lobby. Why are the hallways so bland? Why am I just noticing his now? I've been here countless times before. At least the people in the hallways look like they have a purpose and they're not sad or in pain.

I approach one of the vending machines in the lobby. All healthy snacks. I feed the machine a crumpled up dollar and fight with it until it finally accepts the dollar. I punch in the letter and number for a granola bar. It falls with a satisfying thud and I bend down to pick it up.

I'm about to unwrap the granola bar when I decide to look around. This'll make too much noise in here, people might stare. I also don't want to look like I have no reason to be out here and just sit down to eat it. I reason with myself and walk back to the door of Connor's room. I glance around the hall to make sure the coast is clear. Finally, I unwrap the granola bar and take a bite. It's not really that good for all the work I put into this, but there's chocolate chips so I guess that counts for something.

Zoe walks toward me. "My parents are on their way. Did the doctor tell you anything yet?"

"Uh-No, no not yet," I stumble out. She looks at the floor. "I-I'm sure sh-she'll tell us-you? Something soon! A-and I'm sure it'll-it'll be good news!"

She looks up and smiles. "Thanks for the reassurance Evan."

A sense of pride fills my chest. I smile back, a bit awkward, but still a smile.

"Are your parents on their way?" The doctor–Anne I guess from reading her name tag–asks.

"Yeah, they're on their way," Zoe answers.

Anne turns to me. "He was asking for an Evan? You're him right?"

"Y-yeah," I step into the room. I feel Zoe's stare on my back.

"Close the door, Evan," Connor's voice commands. I can't see him yet. I subconsciously started staring at my toes. I do as he says.

"Listen, my parents are going to be suspicious of you. I've never mentioned an 'Evan' in my life. Do you understand this far?" I nod. "It's more so going to be my dad," I sense the hatred in his voice when he mentions Larry. "We need them to be convinced we're friends without actually being friends. I want nothing to do with you when our parents aren't around. Got it?"

"G-got it."

"Good. I'm glad we're on the same page so far. My dad wants me to know people other than drug dealers. If I get caught again he'll have my head on the wall."

"D-drugs?"

"Yes, drugs now listen. We pretend we're friends for like, a month and then we get in a fight that wounds our friendship fatally. Then we never have to talk again. Deal?"

"D-deal."

He holds his hand out for a shake. I take it in my hand and shake it.

"Pleasure doing business with you. Now start laughing, my parents are outside," his eyes are trained on the window next to the door. I start laughing as convincingly as possible.

"Connor! How are you feeling?" Cynthia barges into the room.