chapter five

Lily whimpered as warm tears streamed down her face

Lily whimpered as warm tears streamed down her face. Her entire body trembled uncontrollably. She curled into herself and squeezed her knees to her chest. All around her she could only feel chaos and anger. Her breathing came out in gasps as she rocked back in forth, hoping the small and constant motion would calm her down.

Stay quiet, stay quiet, please just stay quiet.

How did this even happen? Who were they?

Who was he?

She should have known better. She has a problem with trusting people too easily. She barely knew him.

But his eyes were so warm. His eyes were so inviting and kind. She wanted to erase his fear and his anger and his guilt and just make him happy.

She had a feeling he couldn't really remember the last time he felt truly happy.

She heard grunting from the edge of the alley way and she was reminded as to where she was. She was once again ravaged by the immensely terrifying feelings. She brought her palms to her ears and squeezed her eyes shut. She wanted to scream and cry and make all of them go away. She wanted to stop this. She wanted to curl up with a mug of tea and cuddle into James' side. She wanted to watch Disney movies or talk about the pretty sky. She wanted to be anywhere but there.

Suddenly the grunting stopped and she only heard the sound of heavy breathing. It was a combination of hers and whoever was left standing after the fight. She heard light and slow footsteps start towards her making her eyes widen. She slapped and hand over her mouth in attempt to muffle the sound of her breathing. She scrunched her small figure closer to the brick wall behind her and squeezed her eyes shut tighter, if that was even possible.

She had never felt fear such as this.

The footsteps stopped, and then her hiding place was discovered. She didn't take the time to look at whoever it was and she screamed, scrambling to her feet and trying to run away.

Her ears were ringing so much she couldn't hear the sound of James' voice calling for her. Hands wrapped around her waist and pulled her into a chest. She thrashed around and sobbed loudly, still unaware of who it was.

She was turned in James' grip and was facing him. She hit weakly at his chest and tried with all of her strength, however limited it was, to wiggle herself out of the grip with her eyes still shut and tears still streaming down her cheeks. James loosened his grip on her, trying to 

"Lily!" The sound of his voice and his ungloved hand touching her cheek was enough to halt her movements. She snapped her gorgeous eyes open and looked wide-eyes at James' worried face. Her breath was coming out in gasps. "I-I'm so sorry, Lily. Are you okay? Are you hurt-"

Lily latched her arms around James' waist and buried her face in his chest, sobbing. His questions were immediately halted and, for a moment, so were his movements. He didn't wrap his arms around her at first, but when his mind fully registered what was happening he did. His chin rest upon her head and he stroked her head as she cried into his chest. They stayed that way for a little while, her body eventually becoming more and more calm. The thought of her tear-streaked face, her scream, and her trembling body echoed in James' mind. It broke his heart to see her that way so he promised to himself he would protect her at all costs.

He didn't know what he would do if he saw her hurt.

After stumbling to Lily's house, sniffling still coming from a trembling Lily, James carried her to her bed when she had nearly collapsed at the door from exhaustion. He gently lay her down and took off her shoes, then draped her comforter over her and she turned in her bed to face him. He paused his movements to look at her sleeping face.

He pushed a strand of hair from her face and leaned down to kiss her forehead. The warmth from his lips made her grin from being only on the verge of sleep. With the last of her energy, she reached out her hand and touched his palm when he began towards her door, planning on sleeping on the couch. She grabbed his pinky and pulled him towards her. She scooted over and opened the cover for him with her eyes still closed, praying he would take the offer because one, she was very cold, and two it would be incredibly awkward if he didn't.

Luckily, he did with a grin on his lips. He sat on the bed, slipping off his boots, and slid into her bed next to her. She wrapped the comforter around the both of them and curled into his side, relishing in the warmth of his body. He wrapped an arm around her and found himself suddenly exhausted.

Quick as a light, they both fell asleep holding tightly onto one another.