chapter ten

Lily tried reaching out for James, but felt nothing when she did. At first, she thought it was because he was too far away or because she couldn't seem to focus, but then she realized she had found him, and he felt nothing. There was a numb buzzing that she found was radiating from him making her stomach churn at the thought that her James wasn't there. He wasn't James Barnes, the man who made her feel safe and at peace. It was the Winter Soldier. The ruthless and merciless Hydra killing machine who slaughtered anything and anyone in his path. Who always completed his mission and always complied. No one could get him back.

No one except maybe her.

The thought was terrifying, but after about ten minutes of just sitting around waiting for the signal that told her he was okay and he was himself again she realized she had to try. She had to bring James back no matter how dangerous it was. No matter how dangerous he was.

Somehow James' lack of emotion was a partial blessing. It gave Lily enough room to focus on finding his location instead of just his emotions. She had to shake off her uneasiness from the feeling of his cold and harsh aura to keep her concentration.

She didn't feel herself moving until she accidentally bumped into someone. The agent was panting only slightly and stopped for a short second, asking her if she was alright. She only nodded and managed a weak smile. That was all the assurance the agent needed to carry on with his mission, whatever it was. Lily continued on her path, there was a small tug in her gut, pulling her towards him. Like a magnet to metal. It guided her up many sets of stairs until she reached a heavy metal door that was partially open. A small draft slithered through the doorway and she could hear the loud sound of a helicopter being flown, but going nowhere. She pushed the door open and the sight was enough to make her blood run cold.

James sat in the pilot's chair of a helicopter with a cold and angry scowl resting on his face. His gaze was surprised in a way when he saw the strength Steve was emitting. Steve's biceps bulged as he gripped onto the helicopter with all of his might, Lily was almost afraid his muscles would burst and his arms might dislocate. His face was contorted into one of concentration and pain. Very slowly the helicopter was brought closer to the tarmac, but the fact only fueled James', or the Winter Soldier's, rage. In response, he jerked the controller towards Steve making him jump out of the way to avoid getting crushed to death. The helicopter wings cut up the ground and broke off, flying everywhere. Lily had to duck and jump out of the way to avoid getting decapitated. The helicopter finally came to a rest, looking ready to fall off the helicopter pad. There was an eerie silence and Lily's breath caught in her throat as she anticipated what was to happen next.

Was James okay?

She saw through the smoky and dusty scene Steve lift his head and look inside the cracked pane of the helicopter glass. A silver hand broke through the glass, shattering it in one swift motion, and tightly latching onto Steve's throat. Lily gasped in response and because of their distance and concentration on other things, neither one of them heard her. Just then, as Steve was struggling to get out of James' hold, the helicopter began sliding over the edge, ready to fall into the stream below. Steve's hands pushed onto the helicopter's frame in hoping of pulling himself out of the grip, but his knees slid towards the edge along with the helicopter. James' grip never faltered.

"James!" Lily cried out with tears of fear streaming down her face. She caught his gaze through the cracked glass and she could see the confusion in his wide un-recognizing eyes.

And the two slid over the edge.

Lily screamed and rushed forward, tripping over a piece of metal from the helicopter and peered over the edge sobbing uncontrollably as she saw neither James nor Steve, but only the sinking remains of the metal flying machine. It was at that moment that Lily made possibly the stupidest decision she's ever made.

She shrugged off her warm cardigan as she stood peered over the edge. She took a deep, shaky breath, and dived head first into the waters below. Lucky for her, she was a pretty good swimmer considering she was raised by a pool of water and thought it to be the only comforting thing she could find for herself in a small town in Romania.

When she hit the water, she couldn't feel how cold it was at first. When she began making her way through the murky water towards whatever way she thought was the remains of the helicopter, the coldness soaked into her bones. She surfaced with a gasping breath. Orienting herself, Lily looked to see she was right next to tail of the helicopter. She breathed deeply and dived down deeper to something thrashing in the distance. Upon getting closer she realized it was Steve who was struggling to get James out of the helicopter, and by the looks of it, Steve was running out of air and strength. As quickly as she could swim, she swam forward and noticed the thing that was holding him there. Her lungs were burning by this point and Steve's eyes were wide upon seeing her. She ignored him for the time being and looked around for anything she could find sharp. A broken bit of a helicopter wing lay of the floor of the helicopter. She rushed forward and grabbed it, not bothering to wince at the sharpness against her fingertips. She placed it against the cloth of the rope that held James in place. Lily was beginning to get light headed, but she had to get James out.

She had to save him like he had saved her.

She sawed furiously at the belt and at the last second was able to cut him free. Steve saw that Lily was about to pass out from the lack of oxygen and pulled her to the surface as fast as he could with James also in his arms. She gasped in a breath coughing and laying backwards on the water letting herself float and rest. She closed her eyes and smiled, even if it was only for a second.

She did it. She saved him.