chapter six

When James woke to an empty bed, immediately his guard went up as did his heart rate

Where is she, where is she, where is she?

His senses were so disoriented, he couldn't even manage to smell the heavenly fumes of eggs and bacon wafting from the kitchen.

He crept out of the bed, expertly stepping on floorboards that wouldn't creak and managed to get the bedroom door open without making a sound. He cautiously crept down the hall, but stopped abruptly when the wall of breakfast food smells hit him like a brick wall and the sound of humming found its way to his ears. His head cocked to the side in confusion as he his defensive posture went slack. He shuffled, albeit still rather quietly, from behind the wall and the kitchen layout was revealed to himself.

A wide grin slithered onto his face as he watched Lily mix around eggs on a pan. The tune she sang was one he didn't recognize, but loved immediately.

"Morning." He said gently, hoping he wouldn't startle her. Unfortunately, he did.

A little gasp escaped her mouth and she whirled around, nearly flinging the pan of eggs to the wall. She quickly stumbled and it took a moment for her to secure the pan's spot back to its place on the stove. Her hitched breathing died down and she glanced at James who had a guilty and amused smile on his face.

"Sorry, doll." Lily gave a breathless chuckle in response, cheeks heating up.

"I-It's alright." She waved him off and gave a sheepish smile. "Breakfast?"

It had been decades since James had eaten a breakfast like this.

First being a soldier in WWII, then being captured and used as an assassin for Hydra, then being on the run from everyone doesn't exactly give him the opportunity to sit down and enjoy a meal. Especially since he wasn't what one would call a "great" cook.

A giggle broke him out of his thoughts. He looked up and to the side to see Lily glancing at him with a hand trying to cover her mouth. Her eyes fluttered between him and the table and she bit her lip to stop her laughing. He gave a sheepish, close-lipped grin due to the food in his mouth. The action only made a snort emit from her and she covered her mouth once again, unable to conceal her giggles.

Lily gracefully picked up the empty plates from the table, only stopping when she felt a gentle hand grab her wrist.

"No, please. Let me." Before she could protest, the dishes were taken from her hands and were already being taken to the sink. She didn't bother trying to stop him. She knew well enough that he was the type of gentleman to not argue with. Instead, she sat at her kitchen counter and watched him scrub the dishes and pans.

James was very attractive. He had brown hair that was long enough to reach his jaw, which was littered with stubble. He had broad shoulders that connected to incredibly muscled limbs. He had large and rough hands, and yet they were so gentle with her. His other one was, of course, still covered by his glove and his body still covered by his jacket. He was pretty tall as well. His stance, no matter how comfortable or relaxed he seemed, was always tense, even if only slightly.

Then she saw them.

They peaked out from under his jacket. They covered his knuckles and marked up his physique. She got up from her spot and began walking towards him. James stopped the water stream and cocked his head at her approaching figure. She ignored his look and took his hand that he had just dried off with a towel and held it in her own. His body tensed as he felt her feathery touch on his arm and hand. He almost tried to pull away, but found comfort in her touch so instead, he leaned into it.

She studied the purple and almost green colored bruises that had partially scabbed over on his knuckles. Her eyes traveled to his and she saw that they looked to the floor, his head hung. She put her finger under his chin and connected their eyes. Before she even opened her mouth to ask anything, he was answering her unasked question.

"It's a long story." He couldn't find it in himself to disconnect their eye contact, so he stared into her grey and blue eyes. She nodded softly.

"Okay." He was slightly confused.

"Okay?" She gave a light chuckle and grinned lightly at him.

"You can tell me whenever, or you don't. It's your memories. I don't have the right to push for them." A moment passed of him grinning solemnly at her, before he sighed.

"Although, I do owe you an explanation for the attack last night." She didn't say anything, but she nodded very lightly. With their hands still connected, she led him to the couch and they sat with James trying to prepare his words for her. When he didn't speak for a minute, and his mouth opened in closed, trying to figure out the right words to say, she laid a hand on his forearm.

"Take your time." He gave a weak smile and took a deep breath. Then, he began recounting his story, all of it. Once he started, he didn't hold back. She sat there listening intently, no pity in her eyes, no disgust or fear. She nodded when appropriate, and rubbed her hand on his forearm when he got to the more violent and horrific parts of the story.

For once, he felt safe. Safe in this house, safe in his environment.

Safe with her.