Summertime: Chapter 3

Kambrie’s P.O.V-

“Don’t move or I’ll shoot!” the man shouted with his gun out. “I am not afraid to do this- I’ll do it if I have to!” he assured. “Hey! I told you not to move!”

I woke up in my own sweat… what a terrible dream. Actually, an old terrible memory. Before I moved in here with Stephanie’s family, I was taken in by a foster family on more of the rough side town. It was okay at first but I was young so I didn’t really realize what it was that was happening. As I got a little older I began to realize what was happening- drug deals, gangs and just not good stuff for anyone to be around. I have witnessed a few deals and some gang meet ups. The foster family I was with then was fine, it was just the area we were in that wasn’t. One evening we were having a get together, my foster family had all their family over because it was my dad’s birthday. In the middle of our dinner though a man barged in, we didn’t know who he was. He ordered us to get on the floor and if any of us moved, he’d shoot and he was not afraid. My cousin, Anthony moved apparently and the man shot him. I didn’t see him move but I saw the shot happen, it was terrible. I’ve seen some bad things.

“Goomorning, mom” Stephanie said with her head in the fridge. “Oh, its you.” she says closing it.

“Yep, just me.” I say giving her a fake smile and taking a seat on a bar stool at our island. “Who was that guy?” I asked.

“What guy?” she asked.

“Don’t be stupid. The guy you were macking out with on the porch last night.” I said.

“None of your business.” she said and then left the kitchen. I rolled my eyes at her ignorance.

In the middle of my breakfast I hear my cell ring.

“Crap!” I exclaim once I realize its upstairs. “Hello?” I say breathing heavily.

“Hey, Kambrie. Its Louis.” Louis?

“Oh, hey, Louis. Whats up?” I ask.

“Well, I was just wondering since you’ve lived here all your life if you know a good place to catch some waves?” he asked. I didn’t know Louis liked surfing… I like surfing.

“Yeah, I do. Want the name?” I ask.

“Actually I was wondering if you’d maybe like to come with me?” he asked.

“Uh, sure! That’d be fun. How about I text you the name and we meet in an hour?” I suggest.

“Sure, babe. Bye.” he says

“Bye, Lou.” I say and we hang up.

I asked Karine for a ride since it’d be a big pain to carry my board all the way to the beach. She said she could also pick me up later, which was nice.

I walked down to the beach. I could already see Louis there in his wetsuit. I don’t like wearing wetsuits so I had my bikini on underneath my clothes.

“Hey, Louis.” I said putting my board down.

“Hey, Kambrie.” he said getting to his feet and going in for an embrace. “How are you?” he asked.

“Good, thanks. How are you?” I asked back.

“Great! Ready to get started?” he asked.

“Born ready.” I said whilst laughing.

“Aye, you’re pretty good, Louis!” I shout, floating on my board. He probably couldn’t here me but oh well. I like Louis, he’s a cool guy. I see a wave, so I decide to try and get it.

“Wanna head back?” I ask after an hour or two.

“Sure.” he says and then we swim back.

“Oh, that was fun.” I say drying myself off.

“It was! Anytime I got to Australia I gotta surf. Works up an appetite, that’s for sure.” he says.

“Yeah, it does.” I agree.

“Wanna grab some lunch, together?” he asks.

“Oh, yes, please. I am hungry, aha.” I reply.

We went to a little café for lunch and got a booth. It wasn’t too busy in there on this hot day, surprisingly.

“What can I get you?” the waitress asked. Louis gestured for me to go first.

“I’ll have a ham and cheese sub and an ice tea, please.” I ordered

“And I’ll have your #2 special with a coke, please.” Louis ordered.

“So, Louis. How’s traveling the world?” I asked.

“Quite amazing. I love it. Its something I really love about what I do because most people my age are in school and like I just feel quite lucky.” he says. “Do you like to travel?” he asked.

“I’ve really never traveled anywhere, actually. Before I start travelling though, I wanna get away. From here.” I tell.

“Why don’t you like it here?” he asks me.

“Too many… too many bad memories.” I sigh.

“That’s too bad you don’t like it here. It’s a nice place.” he says. I nod and just a minute later our food is here. We eat in silence for a few moments but then something draw our attention- a man near us eating so loud with his mouth open we can hear it from where we are. Loud eaters is one of my pet peeves.

“Ugh, I hate people who eat like that. So gross.” I say taking a bite out of my sub eating nicely.

“I hate it too. One of my pet peeves.” Louis says looking at him in disgust.

“Its one of mine too!” I exclaim.

“Kambrie?” Louis ask.

“Yeah?” I say.

“I think we get along quite well.” he says.

“I think we do too.” I smile.