Minor Complications.

My feet hurt, my ankles throbbed and I was squinting into the distant light. The end of the restless and churning forest, there was fire and tendrils of thick smoke curling into the otherwise clear blue sky. 

I’d been walking since night, and now, in the warmth of midday, I felt exhausted. 

I ran into the middle of it, fell onto my knees and just collapsed right there. Completely unable to move another muscle. 

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” A male’s voice said, while I could still half hear. I managed to lift myself onto my elbows and glare at him.

“Someone who’s going to have a bad time if they keep talking to me.” I managed to say, he shrugged and disappeared. I propped myself up against a tree and sighed. My eyelids began to feel heavy and weighed my eyes down. I let my head fall back against the  tree’s trunk and before I knew it my eyes were closed. When I woke up, something moved underneath me, jolting my head into a side window. 

“Ow!” I screeched, then sat up. 

“You snore.” Hunter stated, leaning on his arm and looking at me with a smug expression. I glared at him.

“Did you just kidnap me?”  He raised an eyebrow. 

“Oh please.” He put his arm down, “Kidnap is such a harsh word.” 

“What else would you call it?” 

“I saved you from those horrible townspeople.” He shrugged, “No need to thank me.” 

“I’m not.” 

“What happened to the innocent girl that didn’t speak up, let alone share snide comments?” 

“She died.” I glared at him. “Now let me out, I have shit to do.” 

“Nope. Not happening.” He glared “Remember what we talked about before you got scared and ran off? You’re going to be my Queen, we agreed to this.” 

“Are you kidding me?” His hand found my knee, and I couldn’t deny the heat that sprung there. I shifted my legs away, but his touch lingered, like he was as intoxicating as I was. 

“Do I look like I’m kidding?” His face stayed the same, though his hands moved towards me again. I sighed, just letting his hand rest there. Unable to fight how much I wanted him to touch me again. 

“No.” 

“Good, because I’m not.” I looked around the cart, my fingers intertwining to stop freaking out. He was taking me to the new kingdom, taking me to a kingdom which he’d invade, then rule, with me. Shit. “I’m completely and utterly serious. I want you at my side, you agreed to this -- then you ran off.” 

“Can you blame me?” My eyes turned hard, and I tried to breath in and out without hiccuping or freaking out, but my breathing came in hard and rough. He tightened the hand on my knee and sighed.