Major Complications

Finally, after the long, dreary ride. Our transportation mechanism halted. 

Collecting my thoughts, I stared out the window. Carefully watching the landscape. 

The New Kingdom was one of riches and pleasures, I’d know because I’d been to many of their pleasure houses for work. Acting as an employee, kissing the targets and then disappearing into the dead of the night once my job was done -- it was far too easy. 

But something in me, the part that wanted to cover my tracks, told me it was a bad idea to return, a bad idea to come here where I’d killed so many people. For worries someone might recognize me. 

I thwarted that worry away. 

Hunter took my hand, opened the door and we emerged into the pale moonlight. It was bright from the moon, and gas lanterns in the street made the streets look as if they were ablaze. 

A midnight market. 

Stalls crowded the streets, there was a bar at the end of the street, where a burly man hit the ground and rolled into a soup stall. Shocked, the woman behind the counter picked a pot of soup of the boil and dunked it on the man’s head. He laughed, obviously not hurt and struggled to stand up. 

Further downwards there were guards, each standing with a scythe, guarding the entrance to the King’s quarters. Hunter gripped my hand tightly, as the townspeople’s faces dropped and their confidence ebbed. 

Hunter strode forwards, dragging me along helplessly. 

I attempted to stride alongside him, but his steps were too big and long and I ended up fumbling behind like a lowly slave. 

“M’Lord,” a guard announced, Hunter finally stopped walking and I had to take an extra three steps to catch up to him. “King Baliocu will see you no--” the guard stopped speaking and looked at me, “There are no maids allowed in the throne room, M’Lord.” 

“She’s not a maid,” Hunter said, his eyes growing hard. 

“There are no slaves allowed in the throne room.” The Guard corrected himself. 

“She is neither a slave or a Maid, and she’s coming in regardless of your rules.” 

“Then what is she, M’Lord.” 

Hunter struggled to put it in the right words. “She’s my betrothed, we’re to be married.” The guard laughed at this, and I released Hunter’s hand, stepping from beside him into the guard’s direct line of sight. His breathing hitched and his knees almost gave out. 

Holy sh--” his whispered, dropping to one knee and bowing his head, leaving his scythe up. I looked around confused. 

He didn’t bow to Hunter, but he bowed to me. The hell? 

I turned around and noticed that he wasn’t the only one, each townsperson were on a single knee, their heads bowed down. 

Hunter chuckled. 

“Thank you for the welcoming, let’s go.” He said towards the guard. He lifted his head. 

“Come with me, Lord and Lady,” The guard announced, walking towards the entrance, then holding the door open for us. We stepped into the stone built castle, a draft carrying through the halls.