Chapter 5

Nico felt idiotic, but there he was, Saturday night/Sunday morning, at five, waiting by his front door. He had a blanket over his legs and another one hanging from the back of his wheelchair, and he wore a sweater and warm underclothes.

Will knocked on the door softly, not wanting to wake the rest of Nico's family. But they were down there with him, having helped him get ready and worrying about him. This would be the first time Nico went anywhere without one of them, and that was really big. Especially to Nico. He felt...nice. Independent. For the first time in his life, he was doing something normal.

Will was wearing a black suit with a yellow tie. It seemed corny to Nico but actually looked pretty cute. It fit Will well, but probably wouldn't have fit anyone else.

Or Nico was just accepting it because it was Will and he was going to accept anything he did, but he ignored that fact.

"Are you ready?" Will asked, smiling (of course).

Nico nodded slightly. "Y-Yeah, let's go."

Will smiled, glancing at the wheelchair. "Mind if I push you?"

Nico shrugged. "Depends if you mind."

Will rolled his eyes. "Of course I don't, Nico." He pushed Nico out, down the ramp they had installed years before. When they got to the car, Will set him in the passenger's seat before folding the wheelchair up and putting it in the backseat. When he got in and started the car, Nico was staring at him.

"Yes...?" he asked, glancing him over.

Nico blushed in embarrassment, looking away. "Sorry."

"Don't apologize." Will smiled more, starting to drive. "I know I'm fabulous to look at it."

Nico scowled playfully. "As if!"

Will laughed softly. "Oh, quit pretending. I've been told all my life I've got good looks."

"And you usually flaunt that...?"

"No," Will admitted. "But I knew you had noticed it."

"Oh, how so?"

"You were staring."

"For a whole different reason." Nico defended. "I don't usually stare at people."

"Because only I am the one you're attracted to." Will replied easily.

"No, because you're the one that's taking me on a date at five in the morning." Nico shot back. "I'm sorry that I'm curious and concerned."

"Just relax. We've got a long drive ahead of us." Will winked at him. "Maybe an hour. That's why we left so early."

"So we needed to be somewhere by six in the morning? Oh, wow, what a difference." Nico's voice dripped with sarcasm.

"You'll see why when we get there," Will promised. "You won't be disappointed."

Nico sighed but found himself believing Will. This boy was so different, and in a good way, that he wouldn't ever take him anywhere boring. Will would provide a great first date.

And Nico's head started to spin from the thought of it.

They drove for awhile, mostly in silence, listening to the morning radio. They would laugh at the same jokes without realizing it, then look at each other and laugh some more. Nico already felt like this was first date-worthy, and they hadn't even gotten to it.

Will finally pulled over at small parking space, deserted at that time. The sky was slightly pink but still dark, but Will got out of the car nevertheless.