Chapter 10

For a long while, all Nico was aware of were bright lights and people singing. The lights would come and go, flashing at the darkest of times. Even when the lights failed him and he was almost swallowed up by the black abyss, the singing saved him. It was the most beautiful song he had ever heard, sung by too many voices to pinpoint stereotypes onto them. Males, females, and all accents sang alike.

When the light did come, all his fears vanished. He could feel love but not towards anything in particular, and he could feel loved but by something too powerful and too big to describe. Those were the moments when he could care less about what happened. He felt okay, like everything was going to be alright. Peace.

There were times when the light failed, however, and he was left in the endless darkness. He would look around for the light but see nothing, and he would search for love in his heart but feel nothing. Hatred grew like ice inside his being⎯he didn't think he had a body anymore, since he couldn't feel it⎯and enveloped him. It was almost too strong. Right before it completely engulfed him, the light would break through and the insanity would end.

The real insanity, however, was watching it happen repeatedly, with no real cause or reason.