Chapter 18

Nico woke up in his least favorite place: the hospital. His legs didn't work, his breathing was normal, and Will was nowhere to be seen. He was back in reality.

"Nico, you're awake." Hazel sat in a chair by his bed, her long hair tied up in a ponytail. She was the only other one in the room but looked to be in a good mood. "How are you feeling? Want any water or medicine?"

Nico took a moment before responding, his thoughts still on whatever had happened while he was unconscious. "Water, please... How's Will? Did he pull through? Please tell me he's okay. I didn't give up part of an organ for nothing."

Hazel smiled, a soft laugh escaping her chapped lips. "You didn't give up an organ for nothing. They think he's going to pull through, Nico."

His pale face broke out into the biggest smile he had in years. "You're serious? He's going to be okay? He's still alive?"

She nodded as she got up, pouring him a glass of water from the pitcher that sat on his bedside tray. "He's still unconscious but is expected to wake up soon." She handed him the glass and helped him steady it in his hands. "Are you...are you going to try again with him?"

Nico sipped the water, letting the cold liquid ease his dry throat. He glanced up at Hazel, her soft eyes looking at him with concern. "Haz,...he's not a bad guy. He made one mistake."

"Mistake? He left you at your weakest!" her eyes flashed dangerously as she clenched her small fists. "I don't trust him, Nico. And neither should you."

"You're taking this too far." he set the glass down and closed his eyes. "He left me. He never hurt me, never abused me. Never said one wrong word to me. He isn't a bad guy. He never did anything that bad. All he did was break up with me."

"At a horrible moment without even saying goodbye," Hazel added. "How can you forget?"

"I don't forget. I can't forget." Nico quickly affirmed. "But that doesn't mean I can't forgive him. I...I love him, Hazel. I really do."

"He hurts you!" she sat at his side and held onto his hand tightly. "Look what you did for him!" She brought her voice to a low whisper, moving her lips to his ear. "You sold your soul, Nico. You aren't supposed to do that. Love shouldn't have hurt you so bad to do that."

"And I won't. I won't do anything like that again." Nico kissed her cheek. "Hey, it'll be okay. It's not like I'm marrying him or anything. Just dating. I can back out of it if needed."

Hazel calmed some more and leaned her head on his shoulder. "I guess you're right, there... But be careful, Nico."

"Over anything," he promised.

"And if you're in trouble, you come right to me with it." she continued.

"Before anyone else," Nico added. "I promise. Now calm down and hand me my water."

Hazel giggled softly and handed him the cup. "So needy."

"I'll have you know I just had major surgery, sis." Nico sipped from the cup again. "I can be lazy all I want from now on."

"Only for a couple weeks." she agreed. "No more than that or I'll end up killing you."

"So harsh," he laid his head on hers, trying to ignore the pain in his abdomen. "Will you let me know when Will wakes up?"

She nodded. "Course, Nico."

"Or if...if he doesn't make it...you'll let me know that, too?" Nico bit his bottom lip gently. That place...if he and Will had both experienced it, was it somewhere between life and death? Was Will still there?

"Hazel?" Nico turned his head to look at his sister. "How'd my surgery go?"

She opened her eyes before looking back into his. "Hm?"

"My surgery." he continued. "Was there a point during it that...that they almost lost me or something? Maybe I stopped breathing momentarily or something?"

"Nico, what's this about?" her voice became as serious as it was when she first told him about Will. "What did you see?"

"Just answer my question," he commanded, his blood starting to turn cold. "Did I almost die?"

Hazel's innocent eyes became misty with threatening tears. "Yeah, Nico... You did. They thought they had lost you but then you came back... Why?"

He closed his eyes and clamped his mouth shut, fighting down the bile that had threatened to come up. If he had almost died, had he gone to some limbo? Something between life and death that Will had just so happened to also go to? If that was real between the two of them...

"Can I see Will?" Nico asked, suddenly aching for the blond haired boy. "I want to see him so bad, Hazel. Even if he's asleep."

"Nico,..." she kissed his forehead comfortingly. "I don't think you can. They're only letting family in. Maybe when he wakes up. But for now, you can't. I'm sorry."

"You could sneak me in." he tried again. "When no one's looking just wheel me in. We'll be in and out in five minutes."

Hazel shook her head. "Sorry, Neeks. You'll just have to wait."

"Hazeelllll," he racked his brain for more ideas. "Please?"

"I know you want to see him. But there's a reason they aren't letting you in," she explained. "So please stay calm and get some rest. You just had a major surgery. You'll be able to see him tomorrow."

"You're sure?" Nico mumbled. "I can see him tomorrow?"

She nodded. "So get some rest. I'll swing by later after dinner."

Nico laid back as she left, Will's face filling his mind. Tomorrow he'd be able to see him. Tomorrow he'd fill the ache. And there was an ache, all throughout his chest and bones. He wanted to see Will more than ever.

And now was the time. He had saved his life, he had kept him alive. They could finally be together.