6. c o f f e e

AKMU- LAST GOODBYE

It was a winter fit for romance, some would say. He knelt on one knee and popped open the small black box.

'I am sorry it took so long. But as  promised, I found my way back to you.'

He grinned that charming grin which Suzy believed was genuine this time around. Her eyes were wet with unshed tears and a silent gasp stuck in throat. No one had thought that he would propose her in a winter noon with her family surrounded. She didn't believe he had the guts.

After all the trial and tribulations he proved worthy of a son in law to her father. But Suzy wondered what would happen if her father knew that they had a sneaky romance behind his back all along.

'Darling?' The man on the knee was sweating with nervousness for there was no reply.

'Oh, I- God. Si. Of course yes. Of c-course.' Tears choked her reply.

With the ring slid into her finger, Suzy  plunged her sister into a huge hug.

'Suzy!' She laughed with hands still reaching for her now fiance.

'I am so happy for you. So damn happy.'

'Yeah, I know. But can I at least have a kiss from my fiance?' Her sister chuckled.

'Come on, Suz.' Her future brother in law beckoned.

And soon it was a picnic turned to celebration with wishes passed and congratulations spread. Suzy even got a peak of her father patting the once disapproved son-in-law.

She slowly edged away from the joyous ocassion, because of the sadness slowly filling in her heart. It was more than two summers since that fateful night.

Often she would get confused if it was real or just a dream. But she knew it was as real as the butterflies in her stomach whenever she thought of him.

Him.

Parker.

Her Parker.

She believed she caught a glimpse of his boyish face once in a party she had spent the evening searching like a mad women. She had heard rumours about him moving to Paris, or Prague or Milan. She was gossiped about how a particular girl had stood up on his date, how unacceptable it was.

At the end of the day, Suzy would fall into her bed, wishing for dreams of that night, of the carnival, of the game, of the unhappened kiss.

Sometimes a tear would slip. Sometimes a heart wrenching cry.
Did he feel the same? Did he actually move to Prague, Paris or Milan?

Why hadn't he made a contact?
Why should he make a contact?
He probably didn't feel the same. The unexplainable desire, craving to see him. To hold his eyes. To hear him speak and to feel his kiss.