0

"Happy birthday, Rae!"

Cheers, clapping and laughing rang throughout the small room. In the midst of the joy, a small child sits in front of a white birthday cake, adorned with sprinkles and candles. It was the ideal children's birthday party, with smiles both joyful and proud everywhere you looked.

Yet, the young girl by the name of Rae didn't truly feel happy. Yes, she may have been smiling, but not all smiles are true.

It was the first birthday she's spent without her parents, and that hit her hard. Her adopted parents were both welcoming and gentle, but that wasn't the problem. She just missed them; so, so much. Like any child would when losing the two most important people of their life.

After cake was eaten and mouths were clean, it was time for the presents. Boxes and gift bags of all sizes were dispersed around the decorated living room, wrapped and decorated with bright colours. Children and parents sat excitedly around the birthday girl, smiles of bliss shining steadily on their faces.

The satisfying rip of wrapping paper filled the room, as toys, clothes and more were unveiled from its opaque shell. Rae politely thanked everyone for the gifts, but didn't expect anything too special. It was only her birthday, anyway.

Then, her grandmother stepped forward. Her blood related one, not adopted. Rae truthfully smiled for the first time that day and gave the senior a big hug, trying not to break down into tears at the sight of her. The older lady gently took Rae's smaller hands into her own delicate ones, and gave her a velvet black box in her palm. The child gasped as she slowly lifted off the lid, revealing a sleek, white pendant on a silver chain.

"Grandma- Thank you so much!" Rae chimed, eyes lighting up at the pendant

"Grandma- Thank you so much!" Rae chimed, eyes lighting up at the pendant. Her grandmother chuckled lightly and motioned for Rae to turn around, gently clasping the necklace around her pale neck.
"Rae, you must promise me to take care of this necklace. It is more important than you think." The elder stated firmly by with a smile, Rae turning back around to face her.
"Of course Grandma! I love you, and thank you, again." Small arms wrapped around her once again, hugging the older woman with ease. As Rae turned back around to leave, her grandmother suddenly grabbed her wrist.
"Rae, wake up."